VOC Compliant Waterlox
Has anyone used the VOC compliant Waterlox products? I'd appreciate hearing your opinions, especially if you've also used the traditional products.

Thx
Jeff in Los Angeles
Trouble with VOC compliant finish one mans review. Think if follow instructions might not have a problem. Haven’t used Waterlox products in years.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodw...-finishes/
Bill
Just picked up a can of the original sealer/finish. I did notice the VOC stuff with a green sticker, but skipped over that quick. Been a long time since I used Waterlox.

Just tried a new product from Minwax. I was looking for SW fast dry varnish, but seems SW no longer has it and instead is pushing Minwax Performance Series Fast Dry Varnish. I was not happy with the application of that product and thinning with MS did not help in applying. I am wondering if that is a VOC compliant product without labeling it as such. Stunk pretty bad.
(02-08-2019, 03:20 PM)Scoony Wrote: Just picked up a can of the original sealer/finish. I did notice the VOC stuff with a green sticker, but skipped over that quick. Been a long time since I used Waterlox.  

Just tried a new product from Minwax. I was looking for SW fast dry varnish, but seems SW no longer has it and instead is pushing Minwax Performance Series Fast Dry Varnish. I was not happy with the application of that product and thinning with MS did not help in applying. I am wondering if that is a VOC compliant product without labeling it as such. Stunk pretty bad.

The thinner for it is naphtha which also was the thinner for the newer Sherwin Williams fast dry.  It may be the same product as the SW fast dry.   With any of the low VOC products including Waterlox verify what thinner is to be used and don't mix regular and low VOC products together.  As I was told by SW tech support "this is not your grandfather's varnish" after I tried wet sanding the SW fast dry with MS the next day and it all came off.  Roly
Interesting...I wonder if that is the SW product just relabeled under their Min Wax name (as Roly suggested)? If so, that's a good thing...the SW product was a very good one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.