radial arm saw
my friend has this what appears to be a radial arm saw. it is massive,all cast iron with  a 12" blade w/table and cabinet. it has delta rockwell tags on in and a model #mx35067  w/made in the USA It has been in the basement since they got the house from their grandpa 35 years ago. the nearest i can find is its an early60's maybe 50's saw. everything works but man this thing weighs a ton. she is just wondering what to do with it? do people really collect or buy stuff like this? or should we just haul it to the scrapyard, it really is obsolete and i am afraid finding anyone to take it yet alone buy it will be nearly impossible. any ideas? i havent figured out how to post pics so this i all i got thanks for any input
There is a small number of woodworkers that really value an RAS and it's capabilities. Even better, that one is considered a very good saw. But given the small following and depending on where you are located...it may be a tough sale. Worse, it may not bring a big price. Advertising it in places where those interested parties would be a good approach. If you check a website called vintagemachinery.org you will find a large audience who rescues and restores old machinery (just don't ask them for a value, that is verboten). But I would think getting $150+ for it would be at least worth a shot and keep a great machine out of the scrap yard. Needles to say, a lot of this depends on the condition and whether it's a salvageable saw.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yes, there are folks that will be interested. The problems are as you state, finding
the buyer and then getting it moved on to him. It can be done though, given some
patience. If it has sat that long, it likely can wait a bit longer.
The internet can help tremendously.

Start with your location. That will make a difference as well.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
we are in clarkston michigan, i am a novice woodworker with no use for it and i have been checking with my fellow woodworkers for any help but nothing. looks like she might just throw it on ebay and see what happens. i will check that vitage tool site. thanks
It would be a shame to see that go into the scrap heap if it is still in decent shape (not a pile of rusted parts).  RAS's got a bit of a bad reputation from the crap that Sears pumped out in later years, but a good RAS is a valuable addition to the shop if you have space.  I recently upgraded from an old 9" Dewalt that was a bit under powered to a 12" Delta turret arm RAS with 2hp.  I'll have that saw till I am no longer.   There are some things that you can do with a RAS that are not as easy on other devices.   You won't get a lot of money for it in all likelyhood - $100-$150 generally, maybe $300 if you are lucky but there may be the satisfaction of it going to someone who appreciates it.   I purchased the Dewalt from an older widow - as I was strapping it down in my trailer she was watching me closely, undoubtedly thinking about her husband.  I told her not to worry as I had been looking for a saw like that for some time.  When I told her it would be going to a good home and I would take care of it, she smiled and went back inside.  Definitely better than watching it go to the dump.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
I have a Sears RAS that I bought from a neighbor about 20 years ago for $100.00 (and he helped carry it into my basement).

I use it lightly but regularly.  It is excellent for cross cuts and cross cut dadoes.  It makes cleaner cuts than my chop saw and for several short pieces the same length I can cut them all in one pass (face frames, for example).

They can be dangerous, especially if you have the wrong blades mounted.  And the super smooth action you feel on a RAS is probably the result of a too-loose bearing.  The bearings need to be fairly tight to prevent the blade from climbing up the stock.  

On the otherhand, it is big and not portable at all, and I never mastered dust collection with it.  Even with DC hooked up to the blade guard it spits out a lot of dust.  

I don't use it a lot, and  I would not have sprung for a new one, but I would be very reluctant to give mine up.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-08-2019, 08:17 AM)chizlr40 Wrote: my friend has this what appears to be a radial arm saw. it is massive,all cast iron with  a 12" blade w/table and cabinet. it has delta rockwell tags on in and a model #mx35067  w/made in the USA It has been in the basement since they got the house from their grandpa 35 years ago. the nearest i can find is its an early60's maybe 50's saw. everything works but man this thing weighs a ton. she is just wondering what to do with it? do people really collect or buy stuff like this? or should we just haul it to the scrapyard, it really is obsolete and i am afraid finding anyone to take it yet alone buy it will be nearly impossible. any ideas? i havent figured out how to post pics so this i all i got thanks for any input

Got any photos of the machine and motor plate?  I might be interested.  I went nearly that far last year to buy a molding machine.  

John
(02-08-2019, 10:09 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Got any photos of the machine and motor plate?  I might be interested.  I went nearly that far last year to buy a molding machine.  

John

well I gathered up your infro and will give it to the seller I know they just want to get rid of it. probably give you a call and send some pics. pm me if ness
(02-08-2019, 10:22 AM)chizlr40 Wrote: well I gathered up your infro and will give it to the seller I know they just want to get rid of it. probably give you a call and send some pics. pm me if ness

Thanks, I got a couple of photos.  It looks like a short arm saw which I'm not interested in, but I can't tell for sure.  The info. you posted is the serial number and I haven't been able to trace it to a model number yet.  I'll send the owner a text for more photos.  

John
At the very least, put the motor on OWWM.com or ebay, if it runs.  They're getting scarce, and it's worth something.  Maybe more than the saw as a complete unit.  Same for parting it out, though it doesn't sound like you're into that.

The "MX" part makes me think it's from the early days of the Delta Multiplex saws in the 50's, but I don't know much about them other than they were turret-arm style, and very solid machines.  I have an old "Plus-10" from the 60's, which is the original iteration of the Delta 12", without the improvements like the replaceable track rods in later units.  

It's probably worth something to someone, possibly more than just 'something' if you find the right buyer.

Love to see some photos.  You can post them here without having a photo site account by just uploading directly to this site.  In case you didn't know.  
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"