Farm Table Build Along - FINISHED!!
They used to have 60" saw plates back in the day. So it wasn't unusual to saw 28" material.
Minus the saw shaft and mandrel, and 60" divided by 2.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've made some good progress on the legs.  A 19ft long beam wasn't going to make it into my shop.  I had to cut legs to approximate length outside, with a skill saw.  I've been meaning to get a sliding compound mitre saw for a while now.  This project pushed that purchase to the top of the list.  I ended up getting the Dewalt 799.  It's gotten a lot of use so far.  

I was able to keep the Date/Name together.  The only time people will see it is when the top is removed.  But I'll know it's there.

There are lots of tenons to cut.  I made the cheeks of the tenons on the table saw with a dado blade.  I finished the tenon with a hand saw.  Rubbing the saw with beeswax helped it cut smoother.  I cleaned them up with a chisel and a block plane.

Mortices are started with a 1 1/2" drill bit and then finished with a chisel.  

Legs are about finished.  Lower tenons are angled at 8 degrees.  

Thanks for looking!
Love the beefy trestles.  Coming right along.

I feel the same need about cross-cut capability in the shop.  I have an old Delta Super 990 RAS in the shop in the middle of years-long rehab.  I need to get that done and into service.

Keep posting!
Looking good so far.
Does that beam have a hole on each end? I noticed the odd cut on one end there, and wondering if it was a wagon tongue at one time. Most tongues were cut at a taper, narrower on the pulled end.
It was up in the ceiling, being saved for some kind of reason....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-16-2019, 07:59 AM)camp10 Wrote: I've made some good progress on the legs.  A 19ft long beam wasn't going to make it into my shop.  I had to cut legs to approximate length outside, with a skill saw.  I've been meaning to get a sliding compound mitre saw for a while now.  This project pushed that purchase to the top of the list.  I ended up getting the Dewalt 799.  It's gotten a lot of use so far.  

I was able to keep the Date/Name together.  The only time people will see it is when the top is removed.  But I'll know it's there.

There are lots of tenons to cut.  I made the cheeks of the tenons on the table saw with a dado blade.  I finished the tenon with a hand saw.  Rubbing the saw with beeswax helped it cut smoother.  I cleaned them up with a chisel and a block plane.

Mortices are started with a 1 1/2" drill bit and then finished with a chisel.  

Legs are about finished.  Lower tenons are angled at 8 degrees.  

Thanks for looking!

Love it!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
I just joined the forum but you got my interest. I am anxious to see how the table turns out. My brother used to have a ginormous book shelf in his ranch den, which by the way was a huge room in itself. Anyone that visited fell in love with it. I predict the same will happen with the table. Sending good vibes for the job!
(02-16-2019, 10:02 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looking good so far.
Does that beam have a hole on each end? I noticed the odd cut on one end there, and wondering if it was a wagon tongue at one time. Most tongues were cut at a taper, narrower on the pulled end.
It was up in the ceiling, being saved for some kind of reason....

It does have a taper, but no hole.  

I didn't have enough beam to do two entire leg assemblies.  So, the cross support was from another piece of old wood.  I wish I had taken a picture of the whole thing.  Reminded me of a portion of a telephone pole.  The center hole might have been the right size for one of those glass insulators.  (Vertical round hole was already there.  I cut the horizontal hole for a support tenon.)

Tendon hole appears to be able to support a barn beam peg ?
Keep up the build posts i like the sturdy legs
OK, I'm trying to finish up the base.  I started with the stretcher.  I found a true 2x6 long enough to work. (I'm trying to only use wood found on the farm.)  I want to make the table so that it can be taken apart and easily moved.  So, I'm going with a through tenon that I can secure with a peg.  Nothing has been glued yet, even though I have two glue bottles on the table???

It's a big table and a small shop.  

I started experimenting where to put the supports.  I tried a couple different angles, but 45 degrees looked the best.  

I started wide, and kept moving them inward for two reasons.  One, the closer they are, the more support they will provide to the center of the table.  Two, I'm giving myself an opportunity to shorten the table sometime in the future.  It will be 8ft 8" when finished, but I can shorten it by a foot if needed.

So, I'll make the mortices with the drill press and chisel them out.

Because the joint isn't all that structural, I decided to make the tenons about half the width of the board.

So, this where we are at the end of the day.

Thanks for looking!

Cool 

Lookin good so far.

Glue bottles *not* in use, on the table. Minions.....Glue Minions at work, they keep you on your toes.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020