StewMac Ultimate Scraper
(02-12-2019, 04:00 PM)enjuneer Wrote: If you like that one, Paul pontificates on scrapers and sharpening for over an hour and a half in this YouTube video for the Gwinnett Woodworkers group.

Yep...and that's a good one also, Bob...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-12-2019, 02:48 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
More on scrapers from Paul Hamler, who shares a few things about them.....starting about the ten mark...

Thanks, Jack, for sharing that clip.

Simon
I dug th SteMac out last evening, never really used it much, as there is little
I cannot do without a card scraper. I did put a hollow grind on one edge and after a bit of experimentation, it worked very, very well!

Does anyone here know of what material that scraper is made of?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have a few really nice toothed scrapers. Most people use a different name for them. They call them rotary tool cut off wheels.
Smile
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
(02-13-2019, 07:04 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Does anyone here know of what material that scraper is made of?

In the StewMac video, Al Carruth, the inventor, says it's "tool steel, very slightly tempered to about Rockwell C 62."  In a blog, Alan described his first scraper made this way was O1.

http://www.alcarruthluthier.com/toolOfTh...craper.htm
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-13-2019, 08:26 AM)AHill Wrote: In the StewMac video, Al Carruth, the inventor, says it's "tool steel, very slightly tempered to about Rockwell C 62."  In a blog, Alan described his first scraper made this way was O1.

http://www.alcarruthluthier.com/toolOfTh...craper.htm

Thanks Alan. Think I may make one about the size and shape of a card scraper, 1/4" thick, and dished out like my StewMac. Please bear in mind, when I say I may make, I really mean, one of my machinists will be doing a "government job". I was thinking O1, and I will use an outside heat treat source for heat treating and drawing to Rc62.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(02-11-2019, 06:50 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I made my own some years ago from the rear of a 3/16" thick plane blade. I rave about it all the time. An exceptional tool.

[Image: 1_zpspr2v0uh1.jpg]

Hollow ground all around ..

[Image: Scraper2-zpsyar2o7ii.jpg]

[Image: Sharpening-blade-scrapera-zpslgrvfjha.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

Where did you get that diamond wheel Derek?
David, it is a 180 grit CBN wheel. That one came from Jim Carroll at the CWS Store (in Oz). 

You would not (ever .. never!) want to use a diamond wheel at speed (i.e. heat) with a high carbon blade. Diamond is only good for carbide. With high carbon steels, the diamond wheel will disintegrate within a relatively short period (the graphite in diamond is absorbed by the iron in the steel). Stick to CBN - I think I got the ball rolling on these a few years ago: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...SetUp.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com