Just wondering about the Stanley threads
(02-11-2019, 03:45 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: on what tpi they were??

I know awhile back guys were looking to re-tap threads inside the beds and die the threads on the nuts and would like the tap and die to do this.

Get on ebay and purchase them. The die is about $30-40 range.
(02-13-2019, 02:17 AM)bandit571 Wrote: The 12-20 would be the OEM on the Stanley....1/4-20 usually means  someone had to repair the parts....or, it may mean you have bolts from Millers Falls...

This ^^^^^^^
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks Steven and Rich

I have a few of the tap and die for the 12-20 and thinking of selling some of them.

With the pair and never been used what is a good price to sell them for???
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-13-2019, 07:26 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks Steven and Rich

I have a few of the tap and die for the 12-20 and thinking of selling some of them.

They are sold by Victor for around $25 plus shipping new, so figure from there up or down depending on manufacturer.  Tap     Die
(02-13-2019, 07:26 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thanks Steven and Rich

I'm pretty sure it would require that the tap be a "bottoming" type. The holes are not very deep and they are cast iron.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-14-2019, 12:37 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .......................
I'm pretty sure it would require that the tap be a "bottoming" type. The holes are not very deep and they are cast iron.

Victor Machinery was able to locate and sell me a 12-20 bottoming tap a few years ago. Perhaps they can again.

Is this one a "bottoming" tap?  They sort of mention it but I'm no expert.

https://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-12-20.html

Yah all of them are bottoming taps and will come with the dies as well.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(02-14-2019, 01:37 PM)Admiral Wrote: Is this one a "bottoming" tap?  They sort of mention it but I'm no expert.

https://www.victornet.com/detail/TAST-12-20.html

Rich

Bottoming taps are not tapered and have threads all the way to the bottom and the bottom is flat also. The one you had a link to is NOT a bottoming tap

(02-14-2019, 02:24 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Rich

Bottoming taps are not tapered and have threads all the way to the bottom and the bottom is flat also.  The one you had a link to is NOT a bottoming tap
Arlin is correct...BUT I have made them into a bottoming tap by grinding the tapered end away..As it is, it would be just "fair" as a starting tap if you were very careful about aligning it to the hole to be threaded...Cast iron is not very 'forgiving" tho, so it has to be pretty accurately aligned...To thread a "blind" hole in C.I. you need to have a "feel" for when the bottom of the hole is reached and not continue forcing the tap or you will destroy the threads.

I have always been pretty convinced that Stanley used "unconventional" threads so as to become the "sole source" for parts...
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset