Mallet handle repair
Years ago my BIL gave me a rawhide, maple handled mallet. It was new, possibly swiped
Uhoh  from Beech Aircraft where he worked at the time.

I've abused and used it. I splintered off part of the handle long ago, using it for pushing out piston rods from engines. (I know I know
Uhoh )
So I've elected to repair, instead of replace the handle.

Here's the start. I found some maple scrap about the right size.

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Are you going to smooth off the split edge, attach the new piece and carve/whittle to match?
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Yes sir ......................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Ok. Just wondered, seemed the easiest/best route to go.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

No reason to give up on a good tool just 'cuz it's got a couple of miles on it.
(02-12-2019, 08:14 AM)WxMan Wrote: No reason to give up on a good tool just 'cuz it's got a couple of miles on it.

That's the way I see it, plus it becomes a wood project.
Big Grin

Got my parrot vise and homemade swivel mount out and proceeded to hand dress the handle down.

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Block plane, rasp, then one of Dom's credit card sized scrapers, we're getting there.
Have a small split on the bottom side I think I will chisel off and insert a patch.

Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I would have gone to the wood pile, pulled out a straight grained piece of hickory, split it down to rough size, and carved out a new handle. But this gave you a nice project.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.