Uses for worn out auger bits?
Over the years, I've accumulated a bunch of worn out auger bits.  Anybody got any creative uses for them?

I am not a blacksmith so forging isn't an option.  I do have a mig welder so I could maybe use it for something, just no ideas.

Maybe something like wind chimes?

Probably scrap pile 

Thanks
Worn out?  I have an image of my uncle with hand file sharpening these things.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-14-2019, 02:28 PM)Cooler Wrote: Worn out?  I have an image of my uncle with hand file sharpening these things.

Eventually, the side cutting flutes get worn away from resharpening down to nubs and the bits are useless.  The only think I've ever seen done with them is by artists welding sculpture pieces, and unfortunately, sometimes they use perfectly good ones.  It broke my heart once when I saw a sculpture made out of a set of perfectly good Russell Jennings bits......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-14-2019, 02:21 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Over the years, I've accumulated a bunch of worn out auger bits.  Anybody got any creative uses for them?

I am not a blacksmith so forging isn't an option.  I do have a mig welder so I could maybe use it for something, just no ideas.

Maybe something like wind chimes?

Probably scrap pile 

Thanks

Cut off the auger, file/grind a slotted screwdriver bit out of the shank.  You may have to harden the shank for this to work.

Or get a set of larger hex and/or torx bits.  Weld them to the shank of the auger bits.

If you were so inclined you could make a few sets and sell them.  I'm sure some folks would be interested.

Just a quick thought
Peter

My "day job"
(02-14-2019, 03:41 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Cut off the auger, file/grind a slotted screwdriver bit out of the shank.  You may have to harden the shank for this to work.

Or get a set of larger hex and/or torx bits.  Weld them to the shank of the auger bits.

If you were so inclined you could make a few sets and sell them.  I'm sure some folks would be interested.

Just a quick thought
I don't know of a good use for those but "paddle" drills make very good fishtail chisels and gouges for wood carving.....They can be forged into a gouge pretty easily with a ball pein hammer and a Mapp torch...And if the centering "point" is shortened, and a couple of short "spurs" on the outside of the diameter ground or filed into the edge, it can become a fairly decent "forstner" bit in a pinch..Most people just throw them away when dulled, but they can be sharpened {and re-shaped} so they cut better than new.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

They add weight to tool boxes. Or, tie them onto fishing line for lead-free weights.....

I saw them recently used for (blade-type) carving knives, and chisels, as noted. It could be a break-out for getting into cheap forging.
Mmmmmm............................tent stakes
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-14-2019, 04:12 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...but "paddle" drills make ...

A 9/16 one makes a good screw driver for chipbreakers too.
I was sorting them out today, mostly trying to put like manufactures together to see what I have. Most of the worn out ones are about 18" long. Some are regular auger and some are what I call "electricians bits. It kind of makes sense that the trades people would tend to wear them out more.
(02-14-2019, 09:56 PM)MikeLemon Wrote: A 9/16 one makes a good screw driver for chipbreakers too.

I took a spade bit and made a split nut driver for saw nuts.  Funny, when the plumber came to run the gas line to my generator, the gas meter had a split nut screw to adjust the line pressure, and he was fumbling with it, and I said hold on, ran to the shop and produced the driver.  He was impressed, so I gave it to him and made another.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis