Homemade Drum Sander?
looks great , Mark.. Glad it worked out for you
Being a finicky tool when professionally engineered and built, I wouldn’t even attempt trying to make one but that’s me. About 15 years ago I saw a homemade wooden upright bandsaw at an old estate sale. That greatest generation were an ambitious bunch for sure!

(02-14-2019, 04:47 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Has anyone tried to make a drum sander attachment for their lathe?  For examples, search youtube for "lathe drum sander" and you'll see what I mean.

Obviously, I'm thinking about trying it and am looking for tips and advice.  I'd like to use it with home-made veneers.  

Mark

I have made a drum sander, not an attachment . From experience I found that unless the work is passed over or  under the drum at a constant speed the piece will show snipe at each area the piece slowed down. I used a power feeder on the drum sander I made. The drum was made from HDF ( high density fiberboard). I have metal lathes and used it to turn the drum to 3-1/2" dia. The paper was PSA rolls in a spiral and the ends were secured with a hose clamps. I had a 3 HP motor from an old compressor and the power feeder was 1/4HP .The drum ran between pillow blocks and was stationary under the table. Table was hinged in the front and two threaded bolts on the feed end were used to raise or lower the table. I added dial indicators to each side so I could adjust the table exactly for height.
This drum sander worked perfectly for years. When I retired I sold some of my larger tools that weren't used much anymore. 
What ever type of sander you decide to build, make sure that a continuous speed added. Maybe a hand crank as I saw in another post, never seen one myself but seems like a good option if veneers are the main sanding you do.
mike