Pool sticks
I'm a newbie, Just decided to take up woodworking ,BUT.  I have an idea and I want to know if anyone out there has ever tried to make a pool stick. I know it's wood, but that's where my knowledge ends. I imagine they use lathes and I would imagine there is a way to taper from thick to thin.  Also, I wonder if teh two or three piece ones are made as a whole and then cut into pieces and then attach connectors.  Anyone out there with a little knowledge on this.  (To be clear, I know this is out of my league for now, but being that I love to play pool, it may become an issue with me.
Wood turning is not my baliwick so I'll suggest taking a look at YouTube. There should be something there.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
There are a couple cue makers who hang out on www.penturners.org
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I like to get my nose skinned when doing very fine work, and I know I would keep clear of your interest. Like Gary G. says, find other forums also that do woodturning. However, there may be some on Wood.Net who do that.
i love playing pool,too but doubt i could turn a cue that come close to the love i have for my meucci.

(02-17-2019, 12:33 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I like to get my nose skinned when doing very fine work, and I know I would keep clear of your interest. Like Gary G. says, find other forums also that do woodturning. However, there may be some on Wood.Net who do that.

I have a friend who makes and sells some very high dollar sticks...He must be pretty good because guys from all over the country send their sticks to him for repair...He's also a very good player..But I am clueless about making them.....
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

WoodNet has a wood turning forum. Post your inquiry there. You'll probably get some good responses. There's not a lot of interaction between the "flat work" form and the turners forum, so you'll not likely get good responses here. Go where the turners are.
I'll offer a couple of snippets as I investigated this myself before... As a reasonably accomplished woodturner, and a fair woodworker going on ~25 yrs, a poolstick is NOT a beginners project. Largely they are made on metal lathes, or modified versions for the purpose of making cues. The butt portion is pretty straight forward, but shafts.. unless you've a penchant for pain, are better purchased than made.

The stock selection is VERY, VERY particular and you're not likely to walk into your local lumber yard, no matter how good, and find appropriately handled, cured stock for the shafts. If you look around at some of the custom makers, and more importantly the custom pool cue parts sites, you'll get a decent feel for what's involved. There are a handful of fantastic video's on youtube by guys both talented and generous with their time.

If you want to do something cool to take with you to the pool hall, make a 2 butt 4 shaft case or other accessory. If you still plan to dive in...

https://www.cuecomponents.com/
https://www.woodscues.com/collections/cu...s-material
https://www.cuesmith.com/

Would be a fun undertaking, but just go in 'eyes wide open' and know this is quite a project
Smile

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I did a project in college at Schmelke in WI. From I remember, they were pretty selective on the shaft material. Hard maple I believe, and then the blanks had to be just right.

I do see they have supplies for cues as well - you can bet butt or shaft blanks as well.

https://schmelkecue.com/pool-cue-making-supplies.html