Drawer slide options
EdL Wrote:The big HF boxes are a good bang for the buck...
Good thought. I was excited when I saw your comment and started looking at them, in part because realistically, I don't have time to build this with all my other projects. But the more I looked at the HF tool cabinets (and other brands), I realized that they all contain deeper drawers than I want. They'll fit about 8-10 drawers in a height that I want to fit 20 drawers. So yes, they'll work, but they're not ideal. What would be perfect is a Lista cabinet with lots of thin drawers. We have some at work and they're NICE, but also $$$$. So that might not be realistic.

jasfrank Wrote:KV slides are very good quality for the price.
rwe2156 Wrote:Friho and Glideright. $6-8 a pair.
KLaz Wrote:I used some off brand ball bearing 100 lb slides. Think they were in the $12 range
KV 8400 are the standard for ball bearing slides. You can get them for not much more.
I have some shop drawers over 36" wide and used 100 lb KV slides. No issues. Been in place for 10 years now.
Thanks for the thoughts. I can get KV 4100 slides for about $11 and 8400 slides for $14. It's worth looking at other options too when I need twenty pairs or so.

I also realized that I'll need a whole bunch of 1/2" baltic birch plywood. I think this project will be in the $400-$500 range (or more?), which seems crazy for a shop cabinet.

MsNomer Wrote:2”-4” drawers are priceless, especially if you build them with no lip underneath and have a frameless cabinet so nothing can catch.
Agreed! Seems like you can't have enouigh.

Thanks!
Tyler
I've used CSH's full extension BB import slides for years now. They've lasted (never replaced one) just as long as the KV slides I have used.
I'd have to look them up again, but they used to be about 3 bucks a set in a 20 set case.
Maybe it was a 10 set case come to think of it.
I haven't bought any in several years, as I'm still using up the ones I have.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Stwood_ Wrote:I've used CSH's full extension BB import slides for years now. They've lasted (never replaced one) just as long as the KV slides I have used.
I'd have to look them up again, but they used to be about 3 bucks a set in a 20 set case.
Maybe it was a 10 set case come to think of it.
Good lead! Assuming these are the same you're talking about, they're $5.34 each in packs of 10 with a 75 pound load capacity. That cuts the cost of the slides by more than half.

Now I just need to find a free pile of baltic birch plywood somewhere. And some free time.

Thanks!
Tyler
Sounds like I'm late with this, but right now Woodworker's Hardware has their winter sale going on, and the KV 8400 slides (10+) are $11 a set. the KV slides are very good, and these are rated for 100#. Best of luck with your project, I'm getting ready to do something similar myself.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-18-2019, 08:58 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Good lead!  Assuming these are the same you're talking about, they're $5.34 each in packs of 10 with a 75 pound load capacity.  That cuts the cost of the slides by more than half.

Now I just need to find a free pile of baltic birch plywood somewhere.  And some free time.

Thanks!
Tyler

Yes. You found the right ones.
CHS is the retail side. They have a wholesale side, different website. I have that link on my shop computer, currently broke down though. The gig there is, send them/give them a copy of your tax number and you get wholesale prices. And of course set up a business account there.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

OH. CHS is where I buy all my pocket screws, by the case of 5000.
You can really save some bucks by getting the cases.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Check these out. I've made several sets and they work great.
I have had great luck with these and use them for any type of utility or shop drawers.  The prices are very reasonable for what they are.  When I first started looking for slides, I bought a similar style at Home Depot for about 4x the cost of these.  They seem to be nearly identical with the only difference being mounting tab locations.  I use the metal bracket that you can buy for face frame cabinet mounts if needed.  I used these for "internal" drawers in a pantry I built at my old house as well.  I never had any issues.

I do tend to use different screws than what comes with them for the cabinets themselves.  This is primarily due to my preference for square-drive and hatred for Phillips drive.

They may be a little overkill for shallow drawers.

https://www.wwhardware.com/kv-tt100-econ...de-kvtt100
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
How about these? 

https://ahturf.com/store/index.php?route..._id=137668
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Here is my cabinet that is getting close to being completed.  Just need to install 9 more drawers in the third bay & 1 drawer above the fridge.

There is another base cabinet on the other side of the sink that has 5 drawers and I just put the last coat of poly on those last night so that will be done this week.  I made one of those drawers a file drawer to house paperwork I refer to often.

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV