Which way should the grain run?
Here is a piece that needs a little TLC, but mainly a new lid.  The grain on the top runs horizontally and the grain on the door runs vertically. Which way should the grain on the new lid run?

I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(02-17-2019, 07:00 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Here is a piece that needs a little TLC, but mainly a new lid.  The grain on the top runs horizontally and the grain on the door runs vertically. Which way should the grain on the new lid run?

Personally I would not install a "straight" grained panel for the lid.

I would do some type of inlay.  Of course, this would require some type of "border" - so actually the grain will run in both directions.

That is just me - and I have been previously informed that I always do things the hard way (right before they ask me to do something "special").  
Winkgrin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Most I've seen have the field running horizontally.  Some have no border, some have breadboard ends, and some are frame and panel.  Any of those should work with your patient.  

John
Third look at the pix I saw the hinge marks. I'd be afraid a solid panel would crack so I'd go with a frame and panel, possibly something that would compliment the drawer front.

Nice piece -- well worth some effort.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I'll bet that if you did some internet searching you could find a same or similar piece to get some direction from. Lots of antique dealers post pictures of the items they have for auction or sale. I'm guessing that the original top had a grain pattern similar to the drawer front and was probably veneer.
(02-17-2019, 08:07 PM)Willyou Wrote: I'll bet that if you did some internet searching you could find a same or similar piece to get some direction from. Lots of antique dealers post pictures of the items they have for auction or sale. I'm guessing that the original top had a grain pattern similar to the drawer front and was probably veneer.

I've done a lot off research for a slant top desk I'm currently building. I've never seen one with the grain running vertically. They all run horizontally, the same direction as the grain on the writing surface of the desk. Most of the traditional ones have solid fronts with breadboard ends.
(02-17-2019, 07:00 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: Here is a piece that needs a little TLC, but mainly a new lid.  The grain on the top runs horizontally and the grain on the door runs vertically. Which way should the grain on the new lid run?

Horizontal with breadboard ends.  Consider adding a leather writing surface on the inside face.  Hinges need to be substantial even if there are loapers to support the lid.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-18-2019, 10:54 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Horizontal with breadboard ends.  Consider adding a leather writing surface on the inside face.  Hinges need to be substantial even if there are loapers to support the lid.

Here is how Jeff Headley of Headley and Sons does it:

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper Audere!
Definitely horizontal, definitely breadboard ends.