Help with lathe
I have a Delta 46-542 lathe  and I cannot move the speed adjustment handle. For some reason it will not move even after greasing the shaft that is supposed to move and change the speeds. The nearest place that may can repair it is about 80 miles away.  Any ideas?

Thank you,
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
Post in the turning section of the forum, might get more or better answers.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-18-2019, 09:44 AM)Herb Wrote: I have a Delta 46-542 lathe  and I cannot move the speed adjustment handle. For some reason it will not move even after greasing the shaft that is supposed to move and change the speeds. The nearest place that may can repair it is about 80 miles away.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

IIRC, you're not supposed to move the handle unless the lathe is rotating.  Otherwise you bugger the cam setup on the handle. You pull it out, swing, then push it back. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/18427.pdf Page 7
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-18-2019, 12:32 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: IIRC, you're not supposed to move the handle unless the lathe is rotating.  Otherwise you bugger the cam setup on the handle. You pull it out, swing, then push it back. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/18427.pdf  Page 7

Yep what MM said.......
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(02-18-2019, 12:32 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: IIRC, you're not supposed to move the handle unless the lathe is rotating.  Otherwise you bugger the cam setup on the handle. You pull it out, swing, then push it back. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/18427.pdf  Page 7

It still will not move when running.
Herb
I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
(02-18-2019, 09:44 AM)Herb Wrote: I have a Delta 46-542 lathe  and I cannot move the speed adjustment handle. For some reason it will not move even after greasing the shaft that is supposed to move and change the speeds. The nearest place that may can repair it is about 80 miles away.  Any ideas?

Thank you,

Have you opened the front panel/door to see how the handle moves the pulleys for the reeves drive?  It all makes sense when you see how it works.  Is the spindle turning at all when the motor is on?  Any chance you can take some pix?
Your description makes me wonder if it is unlocking/disengaging when you pull the lever out. As mentioned above, open the door and see if things are moving when the lever is pulled...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(02-19-2019, 12:53 AM)Big Dave Wrote: Your description makes me wonder if it is unlocking/disengaging when you pull the lever out. As mentioned above, open the door and see if things are moving when the lever is pulled...

Dave

I will have to get back with you as I have some pressing matters to handle.

Thank you all,
Herb
I had a lathe with a Reeves drive that I had to take apart when it came home as the shaft and bearings were so gummed up the pulleys  wouldn't move.  A good cleaning and lubing and it worked like a champ.
Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
The Reeves drive I have requires light weight oil, not grease.  The grease my be too heavy.  As has already been said, a good cleaning and proper lube may fix the problem.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe