Magnets and Chisels
Question 
Was thinking of using small magnets to help hold chisels vertically. Are there problems with magnetizing the chisel especially as sharpening is concerned?
Ag
Buy a magnetic knife strip for $17.00 and test it out.  If it does not workout, then move it to the kitchen.

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Innovation...trip&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If you find that a hand tool has developed a magnetic charge over time,
for whatever reason, magnets being one, there are demagnetizers
that work very well and are not expensive.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I avoid using magnets around my edge tools. I don't like them being magnetized. Demagnetizing tools makes yet another step in sharpening and yet another gadget. I want to keep things simple.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
No problem with using magnets to hold chisels...I don't even demagnetize them before the sharpening process, whether on the diamond stones or water stones. Over a decade of experience with this method here, after getting too many chisels to worry about holding.

Simon
Let me know what size you would like and how many.  I still have some 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" that I sold in the past.  You pay shipping and I will send some to you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It really depends on the strength of the magnets and also how long your chisels are in contact with the magnets.  Eventually, they will become magnetized, and it doesn't take much magnetism to attract the swarf from your sharpening process.  As Mike mentioned, you can get a demagnetizer and very simply demagnetize your chisels prior to sharpening.  It won't be as much of a problem stropping as it will grinding or using stones.  One thing to remember is that even a very small amount of swarf stuck to your chisels could embed in your wood and become a bear to remove unless you sand, scrape or plane it away.  And the swarf is magnetic also, so it'll stick to your scraper or plane blade.  That swarf will also rust and cause some appearance issues.  I'd err on the side of caution and demagnetize prior to sharpening.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-20-2019, 06:24 PM)AHill Wrote: That swarf will also rust and cause some appearance issues. 

Magnetized or not, sharpening using water stones could result in rust issues if the tool is left with moisture. So it is always a good habit to wipe a fresh blade or chisel clean with a rust preventative after each honing session. I use WD40, camellia oil, or T-9. No swarf is left behind on the tool or on any wood surface.

My advice is to try it, and see what magnetism actually does to woodworking. If nothing happens (as borne out by my experience), save the demagnetization step. 

Simon