Chest of Drawers: Done! (pics inside)
(02-25-2019, 09:07 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: Looks real good ! Finish is top notch. Had to put on my sunrays.
Yes

Hahaha! I'm a sucker for high gloss! In the future, though, on parts that I don't want to polish but still want a deep color, I'll go with thin coats of oil-based on those parts so that it has more time to level out. I'll still stick with water-based on the top or anything where I do polish. Sometime I'll need to make a decent spray booth, though, as water based goes on more evenly that way. It's not perfect, but at least you don't get brush strokes or ridges, which take more time (and risk of going through the finish) to sand out. Yeah, those spray cans of water based exist, but I've found those tend to spurt out little drips now and then.

Also, I've been thinking over the past couple of days about the drawers and how my dado construction doesn't provide the best resistance to the drawers being pulled in and out...I think since I didn't dovetail them, I'll just practice hand cut dovetails for a while and then once I've gotten those down, I'll just make new boxes, transfer the drawer fronts onto those, and then cut apart the old boxes and use the remains for scraps. I know I'm not in this scenario, but looking back about 9-10 years when I took cabinetmaking classes in Junior College, I know the teacher in that class (at the time a 40+ year journeyman cabinetmaker) might have made that a big point of contention. I'm sure the boxes will last plenty of time for now, but in the meantime, once I get the top of my pedestal table (also Jatoba) refinished (needs it after not having done so for almost 9 years) and one other small thing built (a frame), I'm gonna be practicing my hand cut dovetails so I can have drawer boxes whose usability will outlive me! 
Cool
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(02-18-2019, 09:24 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: This should have only taken a fraction of the time it did to build it, but I'm glad overall with how it turned out! I STILL don't know how to make the pics display at the correct angle, so for now you'll have to turn your head or your screen, haha. Main wood is Jatoba, and the contrasting wood is Curly Maple veneer.

Beautiful, keep up the good work.