Circular saw kickback?
Any problems I've ever had with circular saw kickback was while cutting plywood.  Typically, the blade would be set shallower and reaching a bit to cut across a 4' wide sheet, makes it a little easier to lose control.  I've never come close to experiencing anything like in the video.  I've ripped wet, treated 2X stock and when the kerf pinches the blade, the saw usually wants to stall instead of kick back.  But I suppose if you were holding the saw with 2 fingers, you might get it to jump out of the kerf.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

I was born with superior knowledge and wisdom. Using these skills, I have come up with elementary and obvious conclusions to satisfactory solutions.

1.Remove the teeth from the blade.
2. Never plug the saw in.
3. Remove the blade.
4. Have someone else make the cuts.
5. Install the blade backwards.
6. Leave the saw alone.

Feel free to choose which solution works best for you.  
Big Grin

In 1973, a friend and I had the thought of starting a freelance roofing replacement business. Installing a roof, then going fishing till the money ran out, then install another roof- rinse and repeat.
 The first roof we did was my parents house to get warmed up. My friend was cutting some plywood with no support (Across the leg type cut) when the saw kicked back and tore through his thigh about 1.5" deep. He luckily hit no artery. I put a tourniquet on it and drove him to the hospital. He got stitches, we finished the job and we never looked back. We swear it was the hard labor, nails in tires and 100 degree heat that changed our minds. Kids!
(02-22-2019, 10:18 AM)daddo Wrote: My friend was cutting some plywood with no support (Across the leg type cut) when the saw kicked back and tore through his thigh about 1.5" deep. He luckily hit no artery. I put a tourniquet on it and drove him to the hospital. He got stitches, we finished the job and we never looked back. We swear it was the hard labor, nails in tires and 100 degree heat that changed our minds. Kids!

That kind of saw kickback is also a key cause of serious jobsite injuries involving cutting pipes or beams. My neighbor was a retired welder, and shared a good number of circular saw (he called it handheld chop saw) kick back injury stories he witnessed.

Simon
My buddy was cutting a 1X pine board at chest height.... the board held in his left hand, saw in his right. The saw kicked back. Somehow he ended up with his left middle finger pulled through the blade gap on the saw plate. It's now a "Franken finger"... looks nasty and he has no use of it. He wishes he would have had it removed versus trying to save it.

Always cut with the board supported. I've had one kickback a couple times, but I've always been able to overpower the saw. Use a weak motor and you can stop the blade!
Yes
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(02-22-2019, 11:25 AM)CLETUS Wrote: Always cut with the board supported. I've had one kickback a couple times, but I've always been able to overpower the saw. Use a weak motor and you can stop the blade!
Yes

Proper support, strong hands and an underpowered saw all help. Also helpful is an awareness of the danger of kickback or associated safety risks, as well as a mental preparedness for things to go wrong. The OSHA record (see my earlier post for the link) shows unambiguously that circular saws have caused numerous injuries, and a simple google search would reveal the more graphic coverage of such injuries. Since acquiring a track saw, I have not used the circular saw. Its lack of dust collection feature is the main reason it has not been used.

Simon
(02-22-2019, 10:18 AM)daddo Wrote: I was born with superior knowledge and wisdom. Using these skills, I have come up with elementary and obvious conclusions to satisfactory solutions.

1.Remove the teeth from the blade.
2. Never plug the saw in.
3. Remove the blade.
4. Have someone else make the cuts.
5. Install the blade backwards.
6. Leave the saw alone.

Feel free to choose which solution works best for you.  
Big Grin
TRANSLATION:

1. Use a grinder
2. Use a hand saw
3. A coping saw needs a new blade
4. Woodworking is not your hobby
5. Use a Japanese saw
6. Supper time.

Big Grin
Laugh

Simon