DIY - spoon carving knife from box end wrench
Here's the newest DIY project for spoon carvers - turning box end wrenches into spoon carving knives.

I watched Jack01's post in Power Tools forum on making your own saw guide and then watched several more videos for the fun of it. The most interesting one was this one on making spoon carving knives. I thought others here might find it interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY-h3qRp308

(02-19-2019, 12:07 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Here's the newest DIY project for spoon carvers - turning box end wrenches into spoon carving knives.

I watched Jack01's post in Power Tools forum on making your own saw guide and then watched several more videos for the fun of it. The most interesting one was this one on making spoon carving knives. I thought others here might find it interesting:

First- carve wet wood. Cuts like butter.

Second, use a BIG gouge.  I use a 30mm #7 sweep and a 22mm  #10.  

Hog ACCROSS the grain, swing and pare down grain.

You want super regular rather than rustic bottoms, get an open scorp or two.  I've a Mora #162 and a #163. To me they're worth the money even now, but I sell 3-400 spoons a year, and hate to dawdle.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-19-2019, 12:07 AM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Here's the newest DIY project for spoon carvers - turning box end wrenches into spoon carving knives.

Very clever idea for a person who likes to make or modify tools like I do...sure I can buy a new one, but where's the fun in that?????
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Like Timberwolf says, some people just enjoy the challenge of making tools for themselves. I felt he was just making one to say he could do it. Why else would he ruin a perfectly good set of wrenches (he took one out of a full set of good ones behind him) instead of using an old orphan or a 50-center from a yard sale ? Have to give him credit for his imagination.

(02-19-2019, 07:12 PM)wood2woodknot Wrote: Like Timberwolf says, some people just enjoy the challenge of making tools for themselves. I felt he was just making one to say he could do it. Why else would he ruin a perfectly good set of wrenches (he took one out of a full set of good ones behind him) instead of using an old orphan or a 50-center from a yard sale ? Have to give him credit for his imagination.

I think he did use an "orphan."  Early in the vid he pulls the wrench out of a set, checks the size on his workpiece, and then he substitutes an older wrench, which he start to cut and modify.

This looks interesting.  Maybe I'll try it because I've got a number of old, duplicate wrenches.  But it will have to wait behind dust collection system installation, kitchen buffet piece for daughter #2, then garden tilling, reinstall the garden drip irrigation, annual maintenance tasks for the mower and ATV, planting the garden, and, OBTW, still hold down my paying job.  And that will get me to my May fishing trip.  Argh...
Looks like a neat project...might have to add it to the list.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp