Educational video on drilling holes

I found this interesting video on drilling holes, good tips.
It is long.

drilling
  Re: Educational video on drilling holes by Jack01 (I found this interes...)
(02-20-2019, 12:33 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I found this interesting video on drilling holes, good tips.
It is long.

drilling
Good worthwhile video.........There's a lot to know about drills and drilling and he just scratched the surface... Thanks for posting..

Here's a series of three excellent videos from mrpete222 on drill bits..The third in the series deals with sharpening them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJItj_ISurY
I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be
issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the
traditions for generations of warriors past. [Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC;
in Navy Times, November 1994]

Jack Edgar, Sgt. USMC Korean War 51/52
Get off my lawn ! Upset

Re: Educational video on drilling holes by Jack01 (I found this interes...)
Good video.......but.

He mentioned slow drilling. For wood, this may not work well with some bits like the twist bit. Usually higher speeds and slower feeds.

In metal- If you run a higher rpm, you must feed the bit faster to prevent overheating. Smaller bits- higher speed, large bits- slower speed.
"There are no strangers- only friends I haven't met.
  Re: RE: Educational video on drilling holes by daddo (Good video.......but...)
(02-20-2019, 01:36 PM)daddo Wrote: Good video.......but.

He mentioned slow drilling. For wood, this may not work well with some bits like the twist bit. Usually higher speeds and slower feeds.

In metal- If you run a higher rpm, you must feed the bit faster to prevent overheating. Smaller bits- higher speed, large bits- slower speed.

Speaking of drilling into metal, I found a great video on youtube which I will try to post later when I get home. Anyway, I had to drill holes in a support bar for a barn door. I started drilling with a power drill and a bit and I got nowhere fast. I watched the video, switched to a battery powered drill and reduced my drill speed and watched for the metal pieces that the guy describes in the video and it worked great. I did start with t smaller bit before I moved on to the 3/8" bit.