Relocate Vanity Drain in Wall
Hey gang...quick question.  I have 1/2 bath in the basement and right now there is a medium sized vanity cabinet in the space.  To the left of the vanity is a non-structural stud wall that I would like to move two feet "into" the bathroom.  I have the open space to remove the vanity cabinet and switch to a pedestal sink....but I'm curious about the plumbing.  The drain and supplies are in the wall itself...is there any reason that it wouldn't be ok to cut the drain and supplies where they are, drill holes thru the back wall's studs (also not load bearing) and simply re-running the plumbing thru it?

Thanks!
(02-22-2019, 02:16 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Hey gang...quick question.  I have 1/2 bath in the basement and right now there is a medium sized vanity cabinet in the space.  To the left of the vanity is a non-structural stud wall that I would like to move two feet "into" the bathroom.  I have the open space to remove the vanity cabinet and switch to a pedestal sink....but I'm curious about the plumbing.  The drain and supplies are in the wall itself...is there any reason that it wouldn't be ok to cut the drain and supplies where they are, drill holes thru the back wall's studs (also not load bearing) and simply re-running the plumbing thru it?

Thanks!

If I'm picturing this right (you're making the room smaller?) and you're going to make the plumbing run that much shorter and drop the runs between the studs, then, yes, you're good.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Good point...a picture would help:

Here's what I'm looking at.  The back wall there is a block wall foundation with drywall on top...although I haven't opened it up yet...so I'm not 100% sure of what the thickness of it is...however the current drain and supplies are in there...the blue lines are not to scale...just a representation of the vertical studs that should be in there.

I am proposing to cut the existing drain down closer to the ground/floor (the top red circle is where the drain enters the wall right now.)  I would then need to run that over and up to the right where I would like to move the sink to. (in green)  Just wondering if there are any gotchas or "oh haailllll no's" there might be.  The whole idea is to move the left-side wall 2 to 3 feet "into" this 1/2 bath.
(02-22-2019, 05:00 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Good point...a picture would help:

Here's what I'm looking at.  The back wall there is a block wall foundation with drywall on top...although I haven't opened it up yet...so I'm not 100% sure of what the thickness of it is...however the current drain and supplies are in there...the blue lines are not to scale...just a representation of the vertical studs that should be in there.

I am proposing to cut the existing drain down closer to the ground/floor (the top red circle is where the drain enters the wall right now.)  I would then need to run that over and up to the right where I would like to move the sink to. (in green)  Just wondering if there are any gotchas or "oh haailllll no's" there might be.  The whole idea is to move the left-side wall 2 to 3 feet "into" this 1/2 bath.

Picture didn't come thru.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(02-22-2019, 05:15 PM)Scouter Wrote: Picture didn't come thru.

Weird...I can see it on three different devices from here....
(02-22-2019, 03:54 PM)Scouter Wrote: If I'm picturing this right (you're making the room smaller?) and you're going to make the plumbing run that much shorter and drop the runs between the studs, then, yes, you're good.

But without the picture you are correct that I am making the bathroom smaller and need to move the sink 2-3 feet "in" or to the right.  I would cut the existing supplies and drain closer to the ground.  (I would then ask what is the correct minimum height from the ground)  Then extend new runs up and to the right....thru one or two existing studs....so they end up at the correct height for a new pedestal sink. Hope that clears things up with the picture not working...
(02-22-2019, 05:17 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Weird...I can see it on three different devices from here....

Possibly because the image is local to you, but here it is not visible.
Mike

(02-22-2019, 05:26 PM)Scouter Wrote: Possibly because the image is local to you, but here it is not visible.

Shouldn't be...I uploaded it as an attachment via the forum itself...but hopefully my further text description can help describe what I'm trying to accomplish
Smile
(02-22-2019, 05:28 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Shouldn't be...I uploaded it as an attachment via the forum itself...but hopefully my further text description can help describe what I'm trying to accomplish
Smile

I can see the picture just fine.  
roly
(02-22-2019, 05:31 PM)Roly Wrote: I can see the picture just fine.  
roly

all I see is: "[attachment=16803]"
Mike