Benchtop Tablesaw Recomendation
(02-28-2019, 08:24 AM)daddo Wrote: For some reason, most folks here hardly mention Makita, but I've been using their tools both hobby and professionally for well over 30 years and I have never been unhappy with them. They've always outlasted most other brands I bought.  I still have a power drill I bought 34 years ago and use it professionally- it's still on the truck. I still have the power planer and belt sander which are about 18-20 years old now.  

The two I would consider most are the Makita and possibly the Ridgid.

I agree, I own about 6 cordless Makita tools and love them. I have never used the Makita table saw, would love to though. It seems that very few places sell the Makita line except HD and their selection is limited.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(02-28-2019, 08:24 AM)daddo Wrote: For some reason, most folks here hardly mention Makita, but I've been using their tools both hobby and professionally for well over 30 years and I have never been unhappy with them. They've always outlasted most other brands I bought.  I still have a power drill I bought 34 years ago and use it professionally- it's still on the truck. I still have the power planer and belt sander which are about 18-20 years old now.  

The two I would consider most are the Makita and possibly the Ridgid.

I would have considered a Makita for a jobsite saw but for two things.  The price, is upwards of 800 when the rest of the pack including Bosch and Dewalt are around 500.  And you can't find it locally at any of the big boxes to look at.   All you will find at HD is Ridgid and Ryobi.

(02-28-2019, 06:37 PM)museumguy Wrote: First of all, I don't want tit to seem like I'm anti Ridgid, in fact, my shop is full of Ridgid orange stationary tools. I have a TS 3660 table saw, contractor style.
I am a member of the Ridgid forums and suggest that if you are considering buying a R 4512, check the reviews. Most of the issues are with the 2 piece fence rail system. If this is a non issue with you, then I recommend the saw.

The fence would be one of my concerns as well, I'm not a fan of the extruded aluminum types.  Between it and the Delta, I would go with the Delta, I think the design is better and I like the T square fence.
None of the saws mentioned would warrant space in my shop. Though I have three 10" table saws, none of which would meet the OP's requirements, I also have a most excellent bench-top saw that I highly recommend, for a fraction the cost of the plasticy saws others have suggested.

Here is an ancient Sears tilting table saw that I've setup to do precision work. All cast iron. These can be found for under $100.

[Image: sears-saw-1.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-2.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-3.jpg]
[Image: sears-saw-4.jpg]
Wood is good. 
I'm probably not experienced enough to offer much of an opinion on comparisons. I've been very happy with my Bosch GST1031 jobsite saw in my small hobby workshop. Have been running it for a few years having replaced a Craftsman saw I had been cursing at for over a decade. For a jobsite saw the Bosch has reasonable dust collection too, which is important for my asthma. These days, most of my ripping and cross-cutting is done on a track saw or a miter saw. I think I've only turned the table saw on twice in the past six months after changing my workflow.
The Ridgid is an excellent choice. I had a previous model and it was fantastic. The fence was more than good enough.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Milwaukee table saw has been a rumor floating around.. I bought a pristine, and I mean basically new, Delta platimun series contractor table saw, with Bismeyer (spelling probably) fence, side extension, and mobile base with an extra side extension table, for $250 off craigslist. Also a "used for one project" $1200 Delta radial arm saw (which I've still never used, but wasn't leaving it behind) for $250 also.. you can find some amazing deals online if your lucky.
(03-09-2019, 10:32 AM)messmaker Wrote: The Ridgid is an excellent choice. I had a previous model and it was fantastic. The fence was more than good enough.

Totally agree.Have had mine for over 10 years,also find the fence to be excellent.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
If you can get by with really small, the Byrnes modeling saws are really cool--and accurate. http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw.html Good for small stuff--i may one day put one in my basement pen-turning shop.
earl
In that situation I think I would opt for a track saw. It is light and easily stored.  And some of the newer ones are prices like premium table top saws.

The Bosch unit costs $500.00 and weighs 60 pounds.  It includes a stand, and rolls around.

The Makita track saw costs $410.00 and the saw weight is 9.7 pounds and stores on a shelf.  The track weight is under 9 pounds (I could not find the net weight; the 9 pounds is the shipping weight).  And stores easily by hanging on the wall.

You will need saw horses for the track saw and a sheet of foam wall insulation to use as a base.  But each piece is light and easily stored.

I have the Festool version and it is very good (but more money than the Makita).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.