Plastic Tool Cases
I keep all my portable tools in the cases they came in. It lets me keep everything together when I go out to a set site and makes sure everything comes home.

When I send a gofer to the truck for a tool, I know she'll come back with the whole thing and not leave the wrench, for example, behind.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
The only plastic cases I do not use for storing the tool are the cases for my shop routers. I have three Ryobi(deal I could not pass up) and two dual base PC routers. I even have a couple worn out tools in the cases---probably should get rid of those.
I keep all of mine. All of my doubles and triples of tools stay in them, and those are used for offsite jobs.
And if I sell or give the tool away, I have the case to go with it.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Most thrown into the recycle bin except those that are proper designed, e.g. carrying cases for the Bosch router, nail gun, etc. Of course, Festool containers are never discarded (they can fetch some good money if you want to sell them). 

Simon
What would be nice, if they all had an insert that fit the tool, that insert could be pulled out and you could then use it to stash all those stacks of hundred dollars bills and get them out of the way.........Uhuh.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I generally keep the tools that come in them in them.  I really liked the Dewalt cases from the late 90's ish.  The ones that were hard plastic and had raised dividers in them with metal clasps on the outside.  Not the blow molded kind.  I acquired a few of those Dewalt cases for other tools that came with less than adequate cases.
I keep my tools in the case that they came in. In fact, I bought a display Hitachi router at Lowes and asked on here if anyone had a case to fit. Of course someone did,
Yes  . It's a weird quirk I have.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I really liked the Milwaukee metal cases that they used to be sold in. Plastic cases never seem to have much room for things like additional blades, bits, wrenches, etc.
I had just picked up a Bosch palm router and see this case is marked for recycling; I don't remember my other ones being marked like that. So instead of the trash, this one is going to the recycling center. I'm kind of a recycling fanatic, and often wondered wished these thigns were marked this way.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Cut the insides out and store tools or bolts in them.