Tool for hand brace?
(03-07-2019, 08:03 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: The same gentleman responded with .....

"My Dad had one. The point digs in and as ya crank it the spring loaded tip is pulled up the guide slot the spring is compressed til it releases and hammers the point. About all I remember; that was about 60 years ago."
How would any "clearance" be provided for the sleeve and the two "cheese-head" steel "pegs" on the outside diameter of the sleeve, one of which is attached to the point...And where is the "triggering" mechanism?
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I don't know. I was trying to figure out how that would work as well.
Could it be for cutting washers without a center hole in leather or rubber ?    Roly
May be just a tool to turn a valve on, or off
Confused  that your hands just can't reach.....like a shut-off valve for a gas furnace.....plumber's tool.

Might explain that "dimple" some of the older gas valves have....right in the top and middle of the lever.....for areas where you can't get the old Crescent Wrench  into....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(03-08-2019, 08:59 AM)bandit571 Wrote: May be just a tool to turn a valve on, or off
Confused  that your hands just can't reach.....like a shut-off valve for a gas furnace.....plumber's tool.

Might explain that "dimple" some of the older gas valves have....right in the top and middle of the lever.....for areas where you can't get the old Crescent Wrench  into....

Here's why I think it is a tap follower, {but I could be wrong}.....
Crazy  
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79op3DM4uo

EDIT.....I have a couple of tap followers and I sometimes use one as a dead center on a wood lathe when I am turning a smaller diameter spindle.You can get a good "feel" for the amount of force it is applying to the work piece.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-09-2019, 08:47 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ..................
Here's why I think it is a tap follower, {but I could be wrong}.....
Crazy  
Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y79op3DM4uo

EDIT.....I have a couple of tap followers and I sometimes use one as a dead center on a wood lathe when I am turning a smaller diameter spindle.You can get a good "feel" for the amount of force it is applying to the work piece.

Except it is for a hand brace, unless there was a drill press that took the square tapered shanks,  which I never seen.   Roly
(03-09-2019, 03:59 PM)Roly Wrote: Except it is for a hand brace, unless there was a drill press that took the square tapered shanks,  which I never seen.   Roly

What sort pf chuck did they have on the old hand-cranked drill presses that mounted to the edge of a bench?
I've never seen one of those in person and had not actually thought about it until your post.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I don't really have anything to add to the discussion. The square shank is a question , and the end of the cylinder is blunt so cutting washers wouldn't work. Don't have a guess why the center section is made of brass, it's not really fastened, but contained between the top and bottom. I got the pins out the they pretty much just contain the spring for the plunger of the center.

I do appreciate the discussion, I think that is what makes this a great place. No "my answer is right, your wrong", just good discussion. I still have it out and look at it every day hoping a bell will go off.

Thanks again.
(03-09-2019, 03:59 PM)Roly Wrote: Except it is for a hand brace, unless there was a drill press that took the square tapered shanks,  which I never seen.   Roly

Take a look at the brace and bits here in the photo on the left.....That's what I am talking about...It's a very old precursor to the adjustable chucks like we have today......Could have been used on a post drill or an old metal lathe,.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+...5rnZaCNt8M:

Get off my lawn !
Upset