HANDTOOLS: Freshly Sharpened Handsaws and some Blocks
Things have been slow at the flea markets in the wintertime, so I've been paying attention to various saws I've accumulated over the last 6 months, cleaning off the plates, polishing them, then rehabbing the saws, jointing, forming and then sharpening them. So here are a couple that I've just finished up. Pics can be seen at this flickr album: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...6832950847

In order of appearance in the album, first up is a Disston D-8, an earlier one with the "8" inside the "D" that dates from 1917 to '40; so I'd say likely from the '30s, definitely pre-war. 26" plate, 10 pt filed crosscut, not a 2x4 type of saw due to the tooth count, good for hardwoods and has plenty of plate depth to it. Horn has a repair, with screws, solid, and is chipped but still feels good in the hand. Freshly sharpened by me, cuts well, light set; 15 deg rake, 25 deg fleam. Yours for $75 plus shipping.  Teaser pic:
[Image: 40258083703_4fafb46c82_b.jpg]

Next up is a really nice panel saw made by the Lawrenceburg Saw Company, Indiana; it was a contract job, etched "Made Expressly for John L. Donlevy & Co., 833 Arch Street, Philadelphia." There was only one saw company in Lawrenceburg, and that was Bishop; in business there until the '20s, so this saw was from a prime period (Bishop would likely not brand their saws for contract work, but sometimes they did). 9 pt, crosscut. But it occurred to me a 20" panel saw would be good for cutting large tenons, so I decided to sharpen it as a hybrid, with a 15 deg rake (typical for crosscut) but instead of a 25 deg fleam, I made the fleam 15 deg, so it could rip as well, but a bit more smoothly. I really didn't like how it performed, so I refiled it with a 25 degree fleam, as most crosscut saws are filed. Lots of plate left, nice ring to it, some evidence of rust but its really more like staining, and not where it matters. Handle solid and complete, no apologies there. Cuts well in soft and hardwood; great user for someone. Yours for $65 plus shipping.  SOLD . Teaser pic:
[Image: 33347489778_db005bd70d_b.jpg]

Next is a late model (70's) English made Stanley block; sole is 7" long, some evidence of pitting on the sole, I lapped it until it performed well, as you can see from the pics; otherwise, 95% japanning; iron bevel was reset and sharpened on my Tormek, and you can see how it performs. Much better than anything you can get at a big box store nowadays; yours for $30 shipped to the US. SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 32280973027_654be1f60c_b.jpg]

Last but not least is a vintage Stanley 9 1/4 block plane; 85% japanning, works as it should, light evidence of rust on the sole, but again I reset the bevel and sharpened the iron and it performs very well. Same price, $30 shipped to the US. SOLD teaser pic:
[Image: 32280971787_6e608948ce_b.jpg]

First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority; please include your full shipping address so I can print shipping labels and quote shipping where applicable. I don't have paypal or any other EFT technology, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum, then checks are just fine.

Thanks for looking.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
PM sent.....................
Frank
Both block planes are sold.
Just to show you I'm not kidding about being freshly sharpened, here's a closup of the toothline of the 9 pt panel saw, which also shows you staining on the plate that I described:

[Image: 32315816867_2e768df5f3_b.jpg]

And here's the toothline of the 10 pt Disston D-8:

[Image: 33382022968_c6845d44c9_b.jpg]
PM sent on 20" Bishop panel saw
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
Panel saw is sold.

Disston 10 pt D-8 cc remains, a really nice saw.
D-8 is now sold; that closes out the thread.

Thanks to all for looking.