Downsizing, benchtop helical planer?
Hey all, back after a long time away from WoodNet!

We're moving in a month or two and my new house is going to have an even smaller shop space than i currently have so I'm looking to maximize my functionality into a minimal footprint.
First on the block, my Foley Belsaw planer, which is just way too big for my hobbyist needs.

So what's the best bang-for-buck in a compact planer? I'm currently leaning to a DW735 with a Shelix head, but I'm willing to consider any option under about $1200ish. Cheaper is always better, the Rikon looks effective for instance but no cutterhead lock?

Looking for quality, not speed or production throughput.
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
(03-02-2019, 01:52 PM)kompera Wrote: Hey all, back after a long time away from WoodNet!

We're moving in a month or two and my new house is going to have an even smaller shop space than i currently have so I'm looking to maximize my functionality into a minimal footprint.
First on the block, my Foley Belsaw planer, which is just way too big for my hobbyist needs.

So what's the best bang-for-buck in a compact planer? I'm currently leaning to a DW735 with a Shelix head, but I'm willing to consider any option under about $1200ish. Cheaper is always better, the Rikon looks effective for instance but no cutterhead lock?

Looking for quality, not speed or production throughput.

The 735 w/helical head is a time proven solution.  I have had one for several years (standard cutter head) and would only change if I started doing projects that required more width.

Lonnie
Yeah, hence why it's my current target, but figured I'd ask the assembled brain trust...
"The things I make may be for others, but how I make them is for me." -Tony Konovaloff
"Have nothing in your house which you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris
I agree, in the benchtop category the 735 seems to be the one of choice...the insert head is just frosting on the cake.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yep, seems so.
Though now I'm wondering if I should consider a combo jointer/planer since I'm trying to save space... ugh more choices.

Edit: oh right, there are no good compact combo units.
Maybe i just make a jointing sled and ripping jig, and ditch my jointer as well.
There are plenty of good combinations in different sizes. All the way from my 24 inch combination down to 8 inch benchtop models.
A combination saves a lot of space if it is a well though out model. However there are quite a few bad designs around.

How much space will you have?

When my workshop was a tiny 2.9 by 5.5 metres I did the entire layout around my huge planer/jointer/table saw/spindle moulder combination that took uo 2.35 by 1.1 metres along one side wall. It worked surprisingly well.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(03-02-2019, 10:35 PM)kompera Wrote: Yep, seems so.
Though now I'm wondering if I should consider a combo jointer/planer since I'm trying to save space... ugh more choices.

Edit: oh right, there are no good compact combo units.
Maybe i just make a jointing sled and ripping jig, and ditch my jointer as well.

I've been quite successful with the DW735 and no jointer my whole woodworking life.  (small workshop - 2 car garage but everything must fit in one side so the car can park)  It'll only work with a good table saw with solid 90 degree stop on the blade.  For joining pieces into panels I plane to thickness, cut to width and flip the board and run it through on the other face to ensure squareness of cut.  Probably not necessary, but only takes a couple of seconds to perform.  

YMMD,

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
What is the average price of DW 735 with Helical Head?
(03-03-2019, 08:54 AM)Jack01 Wrote: What is the average price of DW 735 with Helical Head?

AFAIK you can't buy a DW735 with a helical head. You must buy the head separately and install it. Here it is:

https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-heads_for...r_(DW-735)

I have a Jet JJP-12 with straight knives - got it before segmented heads became the rage - it takes a space 2' X 5' and gets me a 12" induction motor driven planer & jointer. Lots of horror tales about Jet JJP's, mine does what I bought it to do with minimum fuss.
I'm still working out exactly what footprint i can claim in the basement, but it'll be small. Narrowest area is just over 5' for reference, so it's going to be a squeeze to get my unisaw in there but I'm not compromising on that! (If i can demo the unused chimney it'll open up a bit.)

Thinking I'll downsize my planer to a dw735, and put my 6"jointer in the shed for now and see if i can live as a hybrid guy. I've flattened panels by hand before, so i know what I'm getting into.

If i do go to a 12" combo i can flip a dw735 any day for a minimal loss.