Tasmanian Blackwood
Tasmanian Blackwood, if you've never met it, it's a close relative of Koa. 

Lucked into a few logs of it if I wanted to saw on shares. Heck yeah, I'm into that.  
Setting up the mill with the best log.

Got the log opened up so we can see what's inside. Basically quarter sawed most of this one into clear 6 x 1.5" boards. 

One of the smaller logs on the mill. Basically I can get a good 6" board from each side of the pith, and a low grade ~4" from the middle. 

Wife' cousin (that put me on to the logs) wanted a benchtop for his "Man Cave", so we hooked him up with this plank. ~28" x 3" x 12'6" of clear Blackwood. Told him, wholesale price was at least $700. but he could have it. He was going to cut it up for firewood otherwise.  
Crazy 

Here in NZ the forestry industry is set up to process Radiata Pine and Douglas Fir. TONS of it. Good hardwoods are a niche market, and hard to source for normal woodworkers. That's why I got a sawmill, so I can salvage stuff like this. 
Smile
Wow, I'd love to have some of that...what nice looking wood.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Gorgeous stuff.

New Zealand is on the bucket list.  I could always try to get a slab into my carry-on bag, yes?  
Laugh

I'm also envious of the summer season.  

Enough of this idle chatter, time to get on the ATV to go out and push the overnight snow...
Beautiful wood. Nice setup you have, keep sharing pics of the good stuff,
Winkgrin
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Crips buddy send me a few 6x6 pieces for box making.

I watched a Richard Raffin DVD with him turning it and boy was it nice but a little darker.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I see you have a selection of movable meat across the fence also.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-03-2019, 04:03 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Crips buddy send me a few 6x6 pieces for box making.

I watched a Richard Raffin DVD with him turning it and boy was it nice but a little darker.

The logs are really variable. The big log had areas of heart wood that were really pale, while the next (smaller) log, 3rd pic, had much better colour. Maybe related to how fast the tree grew? They were all planted at the same time, but some were ~18", and others 28".
I've always wanted some affordable, Tasmanian tiger wood.
Just missed some on ebay a couple of years ago. Piece was big enough for 3-4 saw handles
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-04-2019, 10:21 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I've always wanted some affordable, Tasmanian tiger wood.
Just missed some on ebay a couple of years ago. Piece was big enough for 3-4 saw handles

Several years ago, I bought a 4X4X16" piece from Woodcraft....$49.00...it aint cheap......but it IS beautiful!!!!!
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-04-2019, 11:24 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Several years ago, I bought a 4X4X16" piece from Woodcraft....$49.00...it aint cheap......but it IS beautiful!!!!!
Yes

It's funny what is an "exotic import" in one country is "firewood" someplace else. Blackwood is classed as an invasive  plant in California, and a "noxious weed" in Sth Africa. 

Having said that, Blackwood is still considered valuable here, although cheap enough to use for (high end) flooring, benchtops and furniture. Getting small amounts of logs processed is the challenge. 

A 4x4x16" piece might wholesale for ~$12 US.  
Wink