Tasmanian Blackwood
Just like Purple Heart in Panama.  They think of it as Cottonwood and treat it as such.  I seen a few trees of it over 6' diameter and the sap wood when cut against the purple background is just sensational.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-04-2019, 04:26 PM)ianab Wrote: It's funny what is an "exotic import" in one country is "firewood" someplace else. Blackwood is classed as an invasive  plant in California, and a "noxious weed" in Sth Africa. 

Having said that, Blackwood is still considered valuable here, although cheap enough to use for (high end) flooring, benchtops and furniture. Getting small amounts of logs processed is the challenge. 

A 4x4x16" piece might wholesale for ~$12 US.  
Wink

It was the only piece of it they had and I had never seen it before...I am sort of an exotic wood collector so I had to have it...but because it is so rare, I hate to cut it....story of my life......
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset