Bessey face frame clamps w/ drill bushing
Howdy.  The topic today is the Bessey BES8511 face-frame clamps:

https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-Cabinetry-...op?ie=UTF8

They align face frames and have a swing-away bushing for a 1/8" drill bit.  So you can clamp, drill, and install screw before having to remove the clamp.  Smart.

Nowhere do they mention what screw they'd recommend.  The bushing supports a 1/8" bit, which would seem to equate to a #8 wood screw with a more-or-less straight shaft.

But what do you do about a countersink for the head?  Can you just sink these screws into hardwood like oak w/o splitting the stile?

Or, are people using smaller #6 trim-head screws?

I'm surprised that this isn't addressed at the Bessey site.

Any input?
I'm so accustomed to posting in OT, would a mod be so kind as to move this to an actual woodworking section?
What's the purpose of the swing away bushing? Would that allow you to countersink? Obviously my questions show how familiar I am with these.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just watched a video on using the clamps and it appears that it's a standard #8 FH screw. Typically, we use 2 1/2" long screws to attach face frames together. If my thoughts are correct, it appears difficult to get a countersink in the hole, unless it's a stand alone countersink. I always slightly countersink screws, even if they have the nibs under the head for self countersinking.

Based on my experience, I just use a couple of 4" clamps to hold things together. Quicker and easier. Just my 2 cents.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Thank guys. So I ended up visiting Home Depot where these clamps are sold and the manager had experience installing cabinets. In fact, he is the reason that store has the clamps, no other stores carry them but he brought in a case of them.

Anyhow, he told me he uses the #8 GRK 2-1/2 screw with the trim head, no countersinking needed even in hickory he said. The heads on them are a tiny bit larger than the Torx drive itself.

I was just going to use f clamps but this is my second project with my son in law, so I’m doing everything I can to make things easy and build confidence.

The clamps are normally $25 each but the website indicated $18.07 for that store. If they work half as well as the reviews indicate (many of the reviews written by full time installers), it is a no brainer. Otherwise I’ll list them on eBay and probably make a small profit.

I’ll post back after Tuesday with a report.
(03-03-2019, 02:37 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Thank guys. So I ended up visiting Home Depot where these clamps are sold and the manager had experience installing cabinets. In fact, he is the reason that store has the clamps, no other stores carry them but he brought in a case of them.

Anyhow, he told me he uses the #8 GRK 2-1/2 screw with the trim head, no countersinking needed even in hickory he said. The heads on them are a tiny bit larger than the Torx drive itself.

I was just going to use f clamps but this is my second project with my son in law, so I’m doing everything I can to make things easy and build confidence.

The clamps are normally $25 each but the website indicated $18.07 for that store. If they work half as well as the reviews indicate (many of the reviews written by full time installers), it is a no brainer.  Otherwise I’ll list them on eBay and probably make a small profit.

I’ll post back after Tuesday with a report.
  Phil,  I have the older version,  with large handscrews,  it works great to hold a cabinet in place.  Normally, I install a ledger strip for the row of uppers, once you have the first cabinet attached to the wall, you lean the next one up into place, and use this clamp to hold it in place, while you shim and screw it to the rear wall.
(03-03-2019, 02:03 PM)museumguy Wrote: Based on my experience, I just use a couple of 6" clamps to hold things together. Quicker and easier. Just my 2 cents.

That's all I've ever done. Don't need anything fancy except your thumb to feel if the the stiles are flush.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-03-2019, 05:28 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That's all I've ever done. Don't need anything fancy except your thumb to feel if the the stiles are flush.
Winkgrin

No, I needed something fancy.

Laugh
(03-03-2019, 07:08 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: No, I needed something fancy.

Laugh

I've used them at work, they do a nice job. Good choice.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-03-2019, 07:08 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: No, I needed something fancy.

Laugh

Oh ok. A BMW clamp. Gotcha.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020