Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS?

I've always cut dadoes with a table saw (I have a Unisaw now) but I saw an ad for a good RAS set up for dadoes at an excellent price (too good -- it's gone  Rolleyes ) but it got me to thinking -- which is do you like, TS or RAS?

I've got an old Rockwell 14" RAS but it's arbor is too big for my dado set and a good dado set to fit it would cost more than the RAS.

What's your preference and why?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
  Re: Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS? by Wild Turkey (I've always cut dado...)
(03-03-2019, 05:19 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always cut dadoes with a table saw (I have a Unisaw now) but I saw an ad for a good RAS set up for dadoes at an excellent price (too good -- it's gone  Rolleyes ) but it got me to thinking -- which is do you like, TS or RAS?

I've got an old Rockwell 14" RAS but it's arbor is too big for my dado set and a good dado set to fit it would cost more than the RAS.

I prefer RAS since that is all I have. But I would prefer it to a table saw for dados anyway because you can see the cut your making on a RAS, on a table saw the blade is buried.
Bruce.
  Re: Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS? by Wild Turkey (I've always cut dado...)
If they aren't too long, I prefer my RAS, which is a 1959 DeWalt 1030.
Semper fi,
Brad

Table saw, as my RS was sold 3-4 years ago. And I never used it for dado's. I didn't have a guard on it wide enough for a dado head.
Steve

Putzing, the new hobby

Evil lurks here, but eventually gets cleansed.

Re: RE: Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS? by ®smpr_fi_mac® (If they aren't too l...)
(03-03-2019, 07:11 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: If they aren't too long, I prefer my RAS, which is a 1959 DeWalt 1030.

Same here.  I can set stops to index parts easier than on my TS and the cut is guaranteed to be 90 deg. The down side of using a RAS for dados is the thickness of the parts has to be constant, and the parts have to be flat, in order to maintain a constant depth.   

You should be able to have the hole in your dado set, or another, enlarged to fit the arbor on your RAS. 

John
(03-03-2019, 05:19 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always cut dadoes with a table saw (I have a Unisaw now) but I saw an ad for a good RAS set up for dadoes at an excellent price (too good -- it's gone  Rolleyes ) but it got me to thinking -- which is do you like, TS or RAS?

RAS gives a cleaner dado cut because the blades cut going into the wood, where TS blades cut coming out of the wood.  So I prefer RAS for dado work.
"Don't force it - get a bigger hammer!"
  Re: RE: Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS? by dlorenz ([quote='Wild Turkey'...)
(03-03-2019, 09:20 PM)dlorenz Wrote: RAS gives a cleaner dado cut because the blades cut going into the wood, where TS blades cut coming out of the wood.  So I prefer RAS for dado work.

Your TS must work differently than mine.  

John
Assuming (big assumptions) that the table is flat and at right angles to the dado set, and that the arm and fence are squared, then I prefer the RAS as long as the dado length is within the crosscut capability of the saw - otherwise I prefer a router.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Router or router table is another option.  I often use a router and clamp on straight edge for plywood dados because the 23/32" and 15/32" bits make life easier.
Project Blog Got it all up-to-date, and I promise to keep it up-to-date.
  Re: RE: Your preference for dadoes --TS or RAS? by jteneyck ([quote='®smpr_fi_mac...)
(03-03-2019, 07:31 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You should be able to have the hole in your dado set, or another, enlarged to fit the arbor on your RAS. 

John

But then I wouldn't have the option of using my TS for longer dados.  

But buying a second dado set for my RAS might be cheaper than buying a second one (and I wouldn't have to find space for it)

So I'm still wondering which is best? Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)