What's the consensus on hanging upper cabinets....gang 'em or individually?
(03-06-2019, 06:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: That's how I do it.

There should be no need to shim the bottom of a wall cabinet.

Run a level 2x4 across the bottom, measured down from the lowest part of the ceiling. Set the first cabinet (usually a corner cabinet) and using a cabinet screw, attach the cabinet through the top nailing flange into a stud. I don't run the screw in tight. It helps if you mark the stud spot on the flange before lifting the cabinet. Hang them all that way. Then screw the faceframes flush with each other and shoot in all the rest of the cabinet screws tight into the studs. Then I patch the holes in the sheetrock left from mounting the 2x4.

It's tedious but I always paint after the cabinets are in because something always seems to get scuffed up.

That is pretty much the way it went.

We ran into some difficulty because the cabinets (sourced at Menards) weren't terribly square.  The face frame clamps I got seemed to get them aligned and I was able to get them nice and tight and screw them together (thank God!).

So we have two upper cabinets hung, my daughter and SIL will now have to figure out the flooring situation before we proceed with the base cabinets under them.  Daughter found some tile which will require removing some of the old flooring, otherwise the tile will be too high to transition to flooring in the living and family rooms (the two rooms adjoining the kitchen).

I'm thinking of using a hole saw to cut through the floor so we can see what we have for layers in there?  I saw they did that on This Old House to check for asbestos layers (I don't think we have any asbestos, it just seemed like a handy way to figure out what you're dealing with).
(03-06-2019, 11:40 AM)Phil Thien Wrote:  (I don't think we have any asbestos, it just seemed like a handy way to figure out what you're dealing with).

When was the house built?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-06-2019, 06:52 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: There should be no need to shim the bottom of a wall cabinet.

That depends on whether the walls at the corner are plumb relative to each other.  Our old house was built in 1978.  I was hanging cabinets on one interior wall and one exterior wall.  Interior wall on the left.  I put the cabinets on the interior wall first.  If the cabinets on the exterior wall were set level, there was a gap at the bottom where the side of the cabinet met the face frame of the cabinet on the interior wall.  If I made that gap tight ( the cabinet wasn't level) then you saw it where the cabinet ended next to the window.    So either the interior wall was never plumb, or there was some settling in the last 40+ years.