How would you finish a wood car?
I'm building a speedster, something like what is shown here. The wood dash and trunk in the back are made from ash. I need to stain it, about this color and then coat it with something to seal it. I hope to never have it get wet, but if I get caught in the rain at a parade or show or something would like a little protection. What should I use?
[Image: 3orBcX1.jpg]
General Finishes Exterior 450, Target Coatings EM-9300, or any automotive 2K Poly would be good choices.  

John
It's hard to beat 100% real Tung Oil. My first choice.

But todays poly's do a very good job.
I think I  would go with a marine "bright work" varnish.  They are designed to stand up to a marine environment and they can handle a wide range of temperatures, so it should do well for a car.

West Marine markets a wide variety of these finishes.  Read this finish comparison at their website:  https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Wood-Finishes

This site describes refinishing old "woodie" cars.  They are showing marine finishes too.

http://www.popularrestorations.com/Artic...cle817.htm
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-04-2019, 12:50 PM)jteneyck Wrote: General Finishes Exterior 450, Target Coatings EM-9300, or any automotive 2K Poly would be good choices.  

John

By 2K poly do you mean the same stuff I spray over 2k paints on metal?
(03-04-2019, 04:11 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: By 2K poly do you mean the same stuff I spray over 2k paints on metal?
What I mean by 2K (2 components) poly is a post catalyzed polyurethane.  
John
(03-04-2019, 06:57 PM)jteneyck Wrote: What I mean by 2K (2 components) poly is a post catalyzed polyurethane.  
John

Okay, let me ask this way. Is there a different type for wood than what you would use as a clear coat on top of something like DuPont Ful-Thane?
(03-05-2019, 10:12 AM)nosoup4u Wrote: Okay, let me ask this way. Is there a different type for wood than what you would use as a clear coat on top of something like DuPont Ful-Thane?

I would use whatever is compatible with the Fulthane.  Whatever you can use on metal you should be able to use on wood.  

John
(03-04-2019, 11:25 AM)nosoup4u Wrote: I'm building a speedster, something like what is shown here. The wood dash and trunk in the back are made from ash. I need to stain it, about this color and then coat it with something to seal it. I hope to never have it get wet, but if I get caught in the rain at a parade or show or something would like a little protection. What should I use?
[Image: 3orBcX1.jpg]

Spar Varnish, such as Epifanes.
I would actually consider something like CPES epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Original-C...1337&psc=1

I used it before on a boat project. It is a very thin (water thin) epoxy that penetrates and seals the wood. You could probably also use it as a top coat or another compatible finish.  

Pure Tung oil would require reapplication so I would probably not use that.