How would you finish a wood car?
(03-08-2019, 08:11 AM)Scoony Wrote: I would actually consider something like CPES epoxy.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Original-C...1337&psc=1

I used it before on a boat project. It is a very thin (water thin) epoxy that penetrates and seals the wood. You could probably also use it as a top coat or another compatible finish.  

Pure Tung oil would require reapplication so I would probably not use that.

Epoxy will yellow and degrade from UV light so you would definitely have to topcoat it to prevent that. 

FWIW, Epifanes is great stuff, but it takes 7 coats if you follow the directions.  It and any spar varnish require periodic maintenance, too, like every year or two, maybe longer if you keep the car stored indoors or covered.  2K Poly will go many years before needing any attention.  

John
You may consider a black semi transparent or opaque oil based “deck” stain. Ash should accept the OB stain very nicely. I’d probably lean towards a more opaque stain. Renew it every few years if and when needed. You may get better UV protection as well and the wood will still look and feel like wood.

Whatever you do for a finish, for parades I’d keep a tarp with you in the event there is a downpour.
(03-07-2019, 10:52 AM)BassMD Wrote: Spar Varnish, such as Epifanes.

That'd be my guess given it's continuous outdoor exposure.