how long before cherry color stabilizes
I just finished a couple cherry end tables.  Brought them upstairs and helped rearrange the furniture.  My wife immediately puts the table lamps on them and I tell her she can't do that because the cherry will darken in the sunlight and the lamp base will leave a light spot.  Of dopourse she was unimpressed with that.  What have others done in this situation?  Move the lamp to a new spot every day?  Leave them in the shop for 6 months before you put them into use?  How long do I have to be concerned about this?  I did stain them so the difference will not be quite as drastic as it would be with natural cherry.  Any thoughts?
I would move things around occasionally but you don't have to do it daily. Maybe sit them somewhere that they get a lot of light for a few days with nothing on them and then use them for the intended purpose. You built them to use and it will all even out in the long run.
(03-04-2019, 05:00 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I would move things around occasionally but you don't have to do it daily. Maybe sit them somewhere that they get a lot of light for a few days with nothing on them and then use them for the intended purpose. You built them to use and it will all even out in the long run.

For future projects,  I often put the finished piece outside in the sunlight during the day for a few days.  I tell people the cherry likes to get a sun tan.
I have a side table I made 25 years ago, maybe more.  When I first finished it there was something on it in one spot for several months.  When I picked it up I was shocked at how much lighter the wood underneath was.  Of course I took whatever it was off.  Over a long time that light spot disappeared.  There's a cloth on it now with about a 2" border on the ends.  I just picked up the cloth and what's underneath is slightly lighter.  After all these years, the color is still changing.  

In the end, it's furniture.  Use it.  

John
Ten years after making a cherry kitchen table the natural light spots are getting darker faster than the dark spots are darkening. I figure in another ten years all will be equal. The table sits against a window and I periodically turn it around.

--
See ya later,
Bill
The wood is going to change color for a long time. Lighter spots will darken with exposure. I installed natural maple flooring. LOML installed area rugs. Dog(s) chewed rugs, rugs replaced, shaded areas stood out until they colored.

No reason not to use the end tables. Periodically move stuff, come up with doilies/etc. to cover spots and so on.
Of all the hardwoods, mulberry and hedge (osage orange) change color the most, probably even more than cherry, when exposed to sunlight or outdoors. Both turn from yellow to a deep burnt orange. My cherry toolboxes never needed any stain.
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
(03-04-2019, 04:51 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I just finished a couple cherry end tables.  Brought them upstairs and helped rearrange the furniture.  My wife immediately puts the table lamps on them and I tell her she can't do that because the cherry will darken in the sunlight and the lamp base will leave a light spot.  Of dopourse she was unimpressed with that.  What have others done in this situation?  Move the lamp to a new spot every day?  Leave them in the shop for 6 months before you put them into use?  How long do I have to be concerned about this?  I did stain them so the difference will not be quite as drastic as it would be with natural cherry.  Any thoughts?

Depends on what you initially used as a finish.  Use a non-alkyd-based varnish over some warmed in BLO, and it'll be a lot less time than if you use a "spar" or water-based varnish with UV inhibiters and no initial penetrating oil.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-04-2019, 04:51 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I just finished a couple cherry end tables.  Brought them upstairs and helped rearrange the furniture.  My wife immediately puts the table lamps on them and I tell her she can't do that because the cherry will darken in the sunlight and the lamp base will leave a light spot.  Of dopourse she was unimpressed with that.  What have others done in this situation?  Move the lamp to a new spot every day?  Leave them in the shop for 6 months before you put them into use?  How long do I have to be concerned about this?  I did stain them so the difference will not be quite as drastic as it would be with natural cherry.  Any thoughts?

My experience with cherry is the darkening will continue in full sun for 4/5 days.  After that the cherry will get even darker , but takes several years. Place the tables in the sun, let the wife plant her lamps after 5 days. Any light spots will be negligible . Move the lamps and the light spots will darken. Eventually the tables will all be the same hue.

mike
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will leave the tops empty for a couple weeks and then just encourage her to move the lamps around occasionally.