Dehumidifiers in the Shop

The last couple of times I've come home after a week or longer of being gone all my cast iron equipment has developed a light coating of rust.  The first time I did what I usually do when that happens - I remove the rust and put a coating of paste wax on.  A couple of months later I returned to find another light coating of rust.  I'm going to do the same thing I did the first time but am thinking I may need a dehumidifier in the shop to reduce the RH.

Does anyone else use dehumidifiers?

BTW, I don't want to throw plastic over the tools because, among other reasons, I don't have a place to store it when I'm using the equipment.

Let me know what you think.

Doug
  Re: Dehumidifiers in the Shop by dg152 (The last couple of t...)
(03-04-2019, 06:50 PM)dg152 Wrote: The last couple of times I've come home after a week or longer of being gone all my cast iron equipment has developed a light coating of rust.  The first time I did what I usually do when that happens - I remove the rust and put a coating of paste wax on.  A couple of months later I returned to find another light coating of rust.  I'm going to do the same thing I did the first time but am thinking I may need a dehumidifier in the shop to reduce the RH.

Does anyone else use dehumidifiers?

BTW, I don't want to throw plastic over the tools because, among other reasons, I don't have a place to store it when I'm using the equipment.

Doug

Yes, I use a dehumidifier.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Where are you at? North freezing dew point swings...South humidity?

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have a dehumidifier in my basement shop set to 55%.  Never comes on in the Winter here in the NE, runs quite a lot in the Summer.  No rust.

John
(03-04-2019, 06:50 PM)dg152 Wrote: Does anyone else use dehumidifiers?......

Doug

In Iowa, 41° latitude,unheated detached garage...  dehumidifier from about mid April to mid October; heat source from mid October to mid April.  
Dehumidifier set to 50-55%:
Heat source is 60w incandescent bulb set inside my table saw on a timer, set to run from about 20:00 to 07:00.  I do have a moving blanket over my table saw to slow the heat loss.
I have a basement shop in Wisconsin, use dehumidifier set at 55 in summer, and 40 in the winter. Right now it reads 30-35, and hasn't run in 2 months. Yeah it is dry, but keeps the windows from frosting and needed to be refinished every other year.

Not a big problem with rust.
I'm interested in this thread as I'll definitely need a whole basement dehumidifier this spring. What brand and size does everyone have that is up to such a task, would have to be able to pump out the reservoir to a floor drain or slop sink.

Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, just expanding a little on the thought.
Bruce.
If you have a floor drain you won't need one with a pump, the water will just flow to the drain. But (IMHO) you have 2 choices. You can buy the high quality, last a very long time, and expensive brands like an April Aire or Santa Fe. These may run $1000 (haven't priced them recently) but will last a very long time and do a great job. Or, you can buy the cheap home models (pick a name, it seems they are mostly made by one or maybe 2 companies) and probably replace it every 3+ years or so. So far I've chosen option #2. 2 Dehumidifiers ago, I had a brand (Whirlpool, I think) that was recalled and they sent me a new one. I've been running it for 2 years now with no problems. When that recall happened the list of brand names the company must have been 30 or so names long.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I dehumidify during Maine summers set at 50% using an Idillis brand Lowes was selling several years ago. So far, so good. The basement is kinda long so I use a small fan running 24/7 to circulate air. In my previous basement shop I didn't have a floor drain but did have a laundry tub so I built a stand for the unit so it could gravity drain thru a hose into the tub.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

If hummus is made from Garbanzo beans, why isn't it called Garbanzus?
  Re: RE: Dehumidifiers in the Shop by stillgotten (I'm interested in th...)
Like Fred, I've had at least 3, 70 ppd units in the past 10 years; Frigidaire, Soleus, can't remember.  All died within 4 years, one after only 1 year.  That one I returned and another I got replaced under recall.  My 30 year old General, on the other hand, is still running fine.  I only "upgraded" for more capacity and because I used the General in my dehumidification kiln.  Even though the new ones don't last long I haven't been convinced to spend $1K or more for a higher quality brand.  

My shop is about 700 ft^2 or so.  The 30 ppd General would run hard in the Summer to keep up.  The larger 70 ppd units handle it more easily.  Some newer models have built in pumps.  I just set mine up on a box and connect a hose from the unit across the floor to my sump pump.  

John