Anybody use this "sandpaper"?
Just curious. Even if  the claims of the seller are reasonably accurate, I'd have a problem paying $120 for three grits of anything. There's also the issue that it's likely that I'll be moldering in the ground before I could make use of  the claimed lifespan.  Tangent alert:  I have a real minor heart issue and when I asked my cardiologist what the likely prognosis would be, he told me not to worry--"you'll be dead before it kills you". 

Thanks.

Oops.  Sorry.

here
Tony
is this a game of stump the dummy? What sandpaper?
(03-05-2019, 06:14 PM)Tony (Charleston WV) Wrote: Just curious. Even if  the claims of the seller are reasonably accurate, I'd have a problem paying $120 for three grits of anything. There's also the issue that it's likely that I'll be moldering in the ground before I could make use of  the claimed lifespan.  Tangent alert:  I have a real minor heart issue and when I asked my cardiologist what the likely prognosis would be, he told me not to worry--"you'll be dead before it kills you". 

Thanks.

Link missing....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-05-2019, 06:58 PM)Admiral Wrote: Link missing....

Likely Dura Grit, mentioned by Stumpy Nubs.
(03-05-2019, 08:30 PM)Alan S Wrote: Likely Dura Grit, mentioned by Stumpy Nubs.

I had one of those things. Bought it 30 years ago at The Woodworking Show. Worked until the sheet metal bent. There were also round metal discs you'd put on a random orbital sander and spin it like crazy. Dangerous as hell when the disc flew off.
Folks:

Here
Tony
"Lasts 100x longer" but an 8x10 sheet of Norton 3M ProSand is $1.50. But since a standard sheet of sandpaper is 8x10" and the Dura-Grit is only 2.5" x 5" (almost 8x as much area as the Dura-Grit block), then even if it lasts 100x longer than sandpaper, it's still 2x more expensive compared to sandpaper (take the area of the "sandpaper" and divide by the area; then multiply the cost of the standard sandpaper by 100).
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-06-2019, 07:24 AM)AHill Wrote: "Lasts 100x longer" but an 8x10 sheet of Norton 3M ProSand is $1.50.  But since a standard sheet of sandpaper is 8x10" and the Dura-Grit is only 2.5" x 5" (almost 8x as much area as the Dura-Grit block), then even if it lasts 100x longer than sandpaper, it's still 2x more expensive compared to sandpaper (take the area of the "sandpaper" and divide by the area; then multiply the cost of the standard sandpaper by 100).

I'm grateful that someone did the math.

I was wondering how this worked out.

Thanks
Peter

My "day job"
(03-06-2019, 07:24 AM)AHill Wrote: "Lasts 100x longer" but an 8x10 sheet of Norton 3M ProSand is $1.50.  But since a standard sheet of sandpaper is 8x10" and the Dura-Grit is only 2.5" x 5" (almost 8x as much area as the Dura-Grit block), then even if it lasts 100x longer than sandpaper, it's still 2x more expensive compared to sandpaper (take the area of the "sandpaper" and divide by the area; then multiply the cost of the standard sandpaper by 100).
Agreed.

I get 3x the cost using $1.31 per sheet for the 3M "pro" grade paper just based on square inches.

$1.31/(9*11) = $0.013/square inch for paper

$38.23/(5.5*2) = $3.48/square inch for block

But, heck toss in the cost of a couple cans of spray adhesive so you can make a square edge block once in a while (considering the wood as $0.00) then it still comes out between 2x and 3x.

It gets only slightly better if one uses the cost of pre-glued rolls of sand paper instead.
3M stikit gold 2.75" x 75ft runs about $60.  
$60/(2.75x75x12) = $0.024/in^2 which still comes out ahead on the 100x cost claim.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-06-2019, 09:22 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Agreed.

I get 3x the cost using $1.31 per sheet for the 3M "pro" grade paper just based on square inches.

My bad.  I used 8x10 instead of 9x11.  Thanks for catching my error.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill