Tool Rest and Supplies question
I've recently resuscitated an early 1970's Rockwell Delta 46-450 12" Lathe and am finding out first hand that a free lathe costs a lot of money!  LOL

It came with the stock heavy duty banjo, a light duty banjo, a 24" tool rest, and a 12" tool rest.  The 12" is not a 1" shaft, but rather is 3/4" but will tighten in the banjo fine.  The 12" tool rest is def not a Delta item, and the top of the tool rest is a bit higher than the centers.  

I'm currently interested in spindle turning and was thinking of adding a shorter tool rest, say 6".  Would the teknatool modular system be appropriate for this lathe?  Is the modular system worth it vs several single piece tool rests?  How often and easy is it to swap posts and rests - and in reality is it enough of a chore that having separate rests is better?

I've seen some Delta/Rockwell tool rests on the bay and other places, but they seem as or more expensive than some of the aftermarket ones - which leads me to the question above.

Additionally - what size of calipers would be best suited to spindle type turnings, expect that on the large side I might turn mallets at about 3.5 inches max for starting, but most turnings will be 2" or less in diameter.
(03-07-2019, 08:03 AM)nodima Wrote: I've recently resuscitated an early 1970's Rockwell Delta 46-450 12" Lathe and am finding out first hand that a free lathe costs a lot of money!  LOL

It came with the stock heavy duty banjo, a light duty banjo, a 24" tool rest, and a 12" tool rest.  The 12" is not a 1" shaft, but rather is 3/4" but will tighten in the banjo fine.  The 12" tool rest is def not a Delta item, and the top of the tool rest is a bit higher than the centers.  

I'm currently interested in spindle turning and was thinking of adding a shorter tool rest, say 6".  Would the teknatool modular system be appropriate for this lathe?  Is the modular system worth it vs several single piece tool rests?  How often and easy is it to swap posts and rests - and in reality is it enough of a chore that having separate rests is better?

I've seen some Delta/Rockwell tool rests on the bay and other places, but they seem as or more expensive than some of the aftermarket ones - which leads me to the question above.

Additionally - what size of calipers would be best suited to spindle type turnings, expect that on the large side I might turn mallets at about 3.5 inches max for starting, but most turnings will be 2" or less in diameter.

Are you saying that the crosspiece of the "T" of the 12" rest bottoms on the banjo, not that the easily shortened shaft bottoms on the ways?  How much is "a bit"?  Spindle turning is safer with the cutting portion above the centerline, because it makes a "catch" of a tool which slips under the centerline (greatest diameter) less likely.  Same applies to working the outside of a faceplate-oriented bowl turning.  Might just learn to live with a "bit" of difference.

I got a 6" Delta rest with Ol' Blue (46-204) when I bought him, but between the protrusion on drive center and extension of the live center available, I found it wasn't really used much.  A hacksaw and a longer rest  from the used list might be more economical, if you decide you really need it.  Make a test with a wooden rest to see if it suits you better.  Only rest I have that's modular is my curved, and it's fine, so the extra expense might be justified.  

I keep a set of 8" and a set of 4" outside calipers, but the larger would be the first, and possibly only one I'd buy were I you.  With properly sized forstner bits and some metric <1/4" plywood, and a 1/4" parting tool, you have an infinite number available.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.