Using other persons tools. Warning!
(03-08-2019, 02:35 PM)Admiral Wrote: Agree.  But I've alienated a few folks by not lending out tools.  Comes with the territory.  They'll get over it.  That being said, I've always said I'm willing to come over and use it for them.

Three things I never lend out. MY truck ,my tools and my wife. Not necessarily in that order.
mike
Quote:Admiral Wrote: Agree.  But I've alienated a few folks by not lending out tools.  Comes with the territory.  They'll get over it.  That being said, I've always said I'm willing to come over and use it for them.

Three things I never lend out. MY truck ,my tools and my wife. Not necessarily in that order.
mike

Good rules Mike.  I lent my wife out.  He did not return her either.  
Eek
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(03-08-2019, 03:42 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: If the guys does that with his tools it makes me wonder how he treats his employer's tools??..........................

You have to wonder what quality of work he puts out too.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(03-08-2019, 02:35 PM)Admiral Wrote: Agree.  But I've alienated a few folks by not lending out tools.  Comes with the territory.  They'll get over it.  That being said, I've always said I'm willing to come over and use it for them.

+1...That has been my policy for years.... my brother was bad for borrowing a tool and never bringing it back when he was finished with it...that chapped my hide so I stop lending them out to anyone..It's a good policy....nobody cares for your tools like you do.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

When I cannot find a tool after diligently searching I call my SIL, who lives nearby, to see If he has it or do I need to keep looking. He does the same with me. This avoids having to duplicate seldom used tools.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(03-09-2019, 07:11 AM)Cecil Wrote: Good rules Mike.  I lent my wife out.  He did not return her either.  
Eek

That's why we have Deposits!
After spending 6 months trying to get my Rotozip back from good intentions and the blade ruined, I changed my attitude that my tools mean something to them.  Then there was the sawz all that was "lost".
 I've spent 45 years slowly collecting what I have and though I am not a materialistic person, there is a thing called respect and accountability.
 If someone who has never used tools before (and I never know that) wants to suddenly use my tools as a guinea pig, I say no. But I'll come over and bring the tools with me and use it, otherwise I'll run your credit card through for the amount the tool is worth to replace, then reimburse you when it is returned on an agreed date. That's called "good faith" deposit.

[Image: OfPpzVG.jpg]
(03-08-2019, 06:25 PM)Cecil Wrote: Arlin, I also lend my tools.  Where I lived for 9 years, until 2 years ago, my neighbor was an injured war vet.  He struggled to make ends meet.  I don't think there was a day that all of my tools were on my own property.

Thank you for helping him/her.
Yes

Do not feel bad to enlighten anyone how you expect the use of your tools and how to take care of them and how you expect them back.
It helps you and him/her a lot.

I have been lost almost 3/4 of the ones I teach due to me not being able to get out to the shop.  I can not wait until we get the nonprofit and a building so they can go anytime and have someone there manning the place which I have several volunteers waiting and ready.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-09-2019, 09:34 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
+1...That has been my policy for years.... my brother was bad for borrowing a tool and never bringing it back when he was finished with it...that chapped my hide so I stop lending them out to anyone. It's a good policy....nobody cares for your tools like you do.

There are guys like me who do care and if I messed something up I would tell you and either buy a new one or fix that one depending on the owner.  The borrowed tools are more important then my tools and I hold mine in high esteem and take great care of them.

The thing I hate worse is someone trying to cover up or just do not tell me about the damage 
Upset
Upset
Upset
I like to step in my shop and start working and having something not right I get very irritated.
I have all of my power and hand tools ready for use when I step in the shop.  I make 30 minutes or more when I am done for the day to clean and sharpen up everything I used.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-09-2019, 02:25 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Thank you for helping him/her.
Yes

Arlin, both you and he are welcome.

There is more to the story.  I knew this man when he was a kid, about 10 or so. My oldest was a couple years younger than he.  His sister was near the WTC on 9-11.  She lived three blocks away, IIRC.  He joined as soon as he could.  We both moved away from the neighborhood, he to the service and I to a nicer home/neighborhood.  When my wife left, I went back to the rental to live.  He took over his fathers house, after he was discharged, plus about 2 years.  Therefore we reconnected.  I would have helped even if we did not have history, but I would have been slower and more cautious about what I lent out at the beginning.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe