Using other persons tools. Warning!
I've got a neighbor that's been beside me for 40 plus years.  He's a fiercely independent DIY guy but he doesn't have a lot of tools.  He uses mine, often at my insistence when I see him trying to do something that I have a better tool for.  Over the years I've found he often treats my tools better than I treat them.  He doesn't have a shop nor a place to keep tools and I do so its clearly in his best interest to take care of things although one of his inherent characteristics is taking fastidious care of everything he owns or uses.

Other neighbors I've loaned tools to were fine borrowers for the most part.  Only had one problem once and that was probably more of a misunderstanding than anything else.

People are different, some conscientious, some otherwise.   Having a good friend and neighbor is also a very valuable asset on the home front.
I have a casual friend that I loan out my big Husky chainsaw to on occasion.  He's a pro tree cutter and many of those guys take surprisingly poor care of their tools and he's no exception.  He has a nice Stihl 660 that blew out the chain brake and trashed a few other parts when it did so.  I offered to fix it for him if he bought the parts.  Still hasn't done it, probably because he can borrow mine.  Anyway, my saw has come back with a missing bar not, busted oil cap, dull chains and more.  But I still lend it to him because he brings me nice big logs to mill into lumber.  I could buy a new saw several times over for what I've saved on lumber.  

John
(03-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: Having a good friend and neighbor is also a very valuable asset on the home front.

More valuable than some tools loaned out and returned in less than satisfactory condition, I say.

Simon
(03-10-2019, 04:01 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a casual friend that I loan out my big Husky chainsaw to on occasion.  He's a pro tree cutter and many of those guys take surprisingly poor care of their tools and he's no exception.  He has a nice Stihl 660 that blew out the chain brake and trashed a few other parts when it did so.  I offered to fix it for him if he bought the parts.  Still hasn't done it, probably because he can borrow mine.  Anyway, my saw has come back with a missing bar not, busted oil cap, dull chains and more.  But I still lend it to him because he brings me nice big logs to mill into lumber.  I could buy a new saw several times over for what I've saved on lumber.  

John

John

Me personally I would NOT call him a pro at all more like a tree hacker who does not know how to take care of the tools which bring him the money.  Pros take care of their tools and I have known several Tree Arborists and Trimmers and none of them treat their tools poorly.

Makes me wonder how he lives in his house.
Big eek
Big eek
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
when I started doing cabinetmaking professionally in 1985, I only had minimal hand tools. I worked with some great journeyman. They were ok with lending me tools, after I proved myself. I made a self conscious decision that if I had to borrow a tool more than 2 times, it was something that I needed to own. That was the beginning of my tool collecting habit, lol.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-09-2019, 02:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: There are guys like me who do care and if I messed something up I would tell you and either buy a new one or fix that one depending on the owner.  The borrowed tools are more important then my tools and I hold mine in high esteem and take great care of them.

The thing I hate worse is someone trying to cover up or just do not tell me about the damage 
Upset
Upset
Upset
I like to step in my shop and start working and having something not right I get very irritated.
I have all of my power and hand tools ready for use when I step in the shop.  I make 30 minutes or more when I am done for the day to clean and sharpen up everything I used.
There are guys like me who do care and if I messed something up I would tell you and either buy a new one or fix that one depending on the owner. The borrowed tools are more important then my tools and I hold mine in high esteem and take great care of them.

Then you and I have the same value system, Arlin...when I was young, I thought everyone had the same feeling about lending and borrowing that I had. That didn't prove to be the case...But I do make exceptions if I know for sure the person doing the borrowing knows how to use the tool correctly and will bring it back when finished with it...I always tell them that I want it back as soon as they are through with it..If it's going to sit on someone's shelf, I want it to be mine..
Winkgrin .I loaned a Makita trim router to a guy I know just last month and he got it right back to me in a few days..I think he is the exception rather than the rule...unfortunately.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-10-2019, 07:32 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: John

Me personally I would NOT call him a pro at all more like a tree hacker who does not know how to take care of the tools which bring him the money.  Pros take care of their tools and I have known several Tree Arborists and Trimmers and none of them treat their tools poorly.

Makes me wonder how he lives in his house.
Big eek
Big eek

Well there are people who take care of their tools and borrowed tools, too, and there are those who don't.  Doesn't matter if you are a pro or amateur, it's just the nature of the person.  That doesn't mean he uses poorly maintained or faulty equipment.  He sends out his saws for repair when needed.  I once asked him why he didn't do his own maintenance and he said he could make more money cutting trees than he could save doing his own maintenance, which is no different than many professions.  

FWIW, he the safest guy I've ever worked with when it comes to taking down a tree.    

John
(03-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I've got a neighbor that's been beside me for 40 plus years.  He's a fiercely independent DIY guy but he doesn't have a lot of tools.  He uses mine, often at my insistence when I see him trying to do something that I have a better tool for.  Over the years I've found he often treats my tools better than I treat them.  He doesn't have a shop nor a place to keep tools and I do so its clearly in his best interest to take care of things although one of his inherent characteristics is taking fastidious care of everything he owns or uses.

Other neighbors I've loaned tools to were fine borrowers for the most part.  Only had one problem once and that was probably more of a misunderstanding than anything else.

People are different, some conscientious, some otherwise.   Having a good friend and neighbor is also a very valuable asset on the home front.

Nodding to all this.  Among all my close friends, I'm arguably the deepest as far as this whole wwing pastime (or even tool-hoarding) goes, and I have a few names in my head of friends who I wouldn't hesitate lending tools to.  However, a couple of those are just guys who may be well intentioned but arguably not know any better and for whom I wouldn't be bothered if they damaged something of mine (e.g. family or "blood" brothers) - tools can be replaced, some friends not so much.  For everyone else, I have a set of "loaner" tools
Another time at work, a coworker borrowed my cordless right angle drill. A couple of days later I needed it and went looking for it. He said hold on, I have it locked up in my toolbox. I went ballistic. I told him under no uncertain terms to never ask to borrow another thing.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I don’t have insurance to cover the liability in case someone gets hurt using my tools.
VH07V