Using other persons tools. Warning!
Years ago (when I worked for a living, before being in business for myself), I was running jobs for a general contractor. I had an apprentice working for me, didn't seem to get much done and I decided to watch and correct his habits. It seems for whatever task he had to do, he would rummage through other journeymen's tool boxes, looking for tools. I pulled him aside and told him if he wanted to stay in the trade, he had better get his own tools. He replied that he had everything. I asked where his tools were and he replied in his truck. I suggested he bring them into the job site and he said said he preferred not to. When I asked why, he replied he was afraid others would steal them.

He lasted another day or two and I never saw or heard from him again, in spite of our local being small.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-10-2019, 12:04 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I've got a neighbor that's been beside me for 40 plus years.  He's a fiercely independent DIY guy but he doesn't have a lot of tools.  He uses mine, often at my insistence when I see him trying to do something that I have a better tool for.  Over the years I've found he often treats my tools better than I treat them.  He doesn't have a shop nor a place to keep tools and I do so its clearly in his best interest to take care of things although one of his inherent characteristics is taking fastidious care of everything he owns or uses.

Other neighbors I've loaned tools to were fine borrowers for the most part.  Only had one problem once and that was probably more of a misunderstanding than anything else.

People are different, some conscientious, some otherwise.   Having a good friend and neighbor is also a very valuable asset on the home front.

Yes
Yes

Sometimes I think we can paint with too broad a brush.  I don't think I would want to toss everyone in the same barrel, just because one guy took advantage of my good nature.  I lend tools fairly often, but I'm selective.  I trust those to whom I lend them.  I've not gotten burned...yet.  In the interests of full disclosure, I don't get asked by every Tom, Dick & Harry to borrow tools either.  It's mostly immediate family and a few friends.  I give those folks the benefit of the doubt, until they've proven otherwise.  So far, so good.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  
Winkgrin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-11-2019, 09:57 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Well there are people who take care of their tools and borrowed tools, too, and there are those who don't.  Doesn't matter if you are a pro or amateur, it's just the nature of the person.  That doesn't mean he uses poorly maintained or faulty equipment.  He sends out his saws for repair when needed.  I once asked him why he didn't do his own maintenance and he said he could make more money cutting trees than he could save doing his own maintenance, which is no different than many professions.  

FWIW, he the safest guy I've ever worked with when it comes to taking down a tree.    

John

There is that to John.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-08-2019, 02:11 PM)Pirate Wrote: Scary story. Contractor, husband of a person I know, was on a home job, and needed to make a cut with his chop saw, and on his way to his truck, another worker said to use his. At first he said no. (has a rule to only use his own tools)  then gave in. Holding the board with his left hand, as he went to make the cut, and the guard came up, a nut, or bolt (can't remember which) shot out and into his thumb!
20+ stitches!
The part that bothers me most, other than the injury, is the owner, said, something to the effect of, I meant to tighten that screw!
Good reason not to borrow or lend tools. You never can tell.

I have lent tools to people but I am pretty selective in what I lend and to who I lend. Any kind of saw, ie circular, chop, miter, etc., I would only lend to a very select few if at all. I readily lend out an older cordless drill as I have 3. It amazes me what people will do to your tools too. The last time I lent my cordless drill, the guy had it for a few hours and he brings it back, says thanks... and he lost the bit in the water and then walks off. I just stared at him like... that is it? No offer to buy a new bit? Guess not
(03-13-2019, 02:04 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: I have lent tools to people but I am pretty selective in what I lend and to who I lend. Any kind of saw, ie circular, chop, miter, etc., I would only lend to a very select few if at all. I readily lend out an older cordless drill as I have 3. It amazes me what people will do to your tools too. The last time I lent my cordless drill, the guy had it for a few hours and he brings it back, says thanks... and he lost the bit in the water and then walks off. I just stared at him like... that is it? No offer to buy a new bit? Guess not

He WILL be back.  When he does ask him for $10 for the bit and or have him take his time to buy the bit and $20 more for anything he may lose this time.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
20 or so years ago when I first moved into this condo and knew nothing of woodworking, I wanted to make a curved molding. But I did not know quite how, other than I knew a router would be the tool to use.
I approached a contractor on site to simply ask his advice on how to do what I wanted, and he gave me a router out of the back of his truck without hesitation. Told me to use it and return it when I was finished. I think I sort of argued the idea, but he was insistent on loaning me the tool. As I recall.
He did not know me at all, other than I was an owner in the condo complex.
Just amazing.
Anyway, I did the job and returned the tool to him as loaned, along with a 12 pack or case of brew.
There are some fine folks out there, too.
Ag