Veritas Hold-Down: On Steroids
I agree with Derek -- increase grip of the workbench first, and maybe add padding to the holdfast.

Still, do not rely on holdfast alone to prevent pivoting, it is not its purpose. You will only dent your work. Buy silicone baking mat for placing under worked object if really needed.

However I agree that bigger knob or some extension could be more comfortable to use (but for relaxed hand, not for over tightening).
Mine broke a few years ago when I used a wrench to tighten it.  Veritas was very quick to replace the pin for me but...like 
Derek pointed out....the hold down was not faulty.  I have used mine daily since then but always use 'something' to insure there is no slippage.  I haven't used a toothing blade on my bench (doubt I could bring myself to do that) but I do use non-slip mat.  I cut one up to have different sizes and find they really insure the holdfast works.  

Don
You can't just find somewhere on it to bash it with a mallet?
I have alternatives, but this one is my go-to if I need just one hold-fast.  Never needed anything beyond hand tight, but I do have leather glued to the foot.
I'd consider making a paddle for a handle that has a recess for the knob. It gives you leverage like a wrench and will not mar or scratch the knob.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Wow;  not expecting so much conversation over a stubby open end wrench! All good comments. Yes, my bench surface is relatively smooth (although it is getting rougher by the day through daily use).  I have used non-slip pads in the past, but at times these can also be an annoyance.  I have leather pads at the business end of the hold down.  I suppose Lee Valley could have chosen a different shape for the knob: t-shape or star shape or some other that would allow better grip.  The fact that they selected a hex bolt shape suggests (to me anyway) that perhaps it was intended to be used with a wrench at times.  I am advocating the snugging up of the adjustor by a half turn +/- after fully tightening by hand.   I agree that really getting on the wrench would not end well.  I recently saw Christian Becksvoort using a shop made wood wrench on this hold down: if it works for Christian, then I think its worth a try!
Philip, you are totally missing the point.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Please sir, enlighten me.

(03-10-2019, 10:34 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Philip, you are totally missing the point.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Philip, the reason for the hexagonal shape is simply to grip the knob with a hand, not a spanner. If you need to wind it down harder and harder, you are likely to damage the hold-down. Plus your effort should be directed to dealing with the actual cause for slippage, which is the surface of your bench. How many others do you hear have problem? If they do not, then you should not. Finding a solution to a problem is exciting, and you are passionate to use your new tool. I get that. But it is not the solution. Try a toothing blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-10-2019, 12:05 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Philip, the reason for the hexagonal shape is simply to grip the knob with a hand, not a spanner. If you need to wind it down harder and harder, you are likely to damage the hold-down. Plus your effort should be directed to dealing with the actual cause for slippage, which is the surface of your bench. How many others do you hear have problem? If they do not, then you should not. Finding a solution to a problem is exciting, and you are passionate to use your new tool. I get that. But it is not the solution. Try a toothing blade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maybe he doesn't have the grip that some of us have.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020