Popular Woodworking
Almost unbelievable...

Simon
(03-12-2019, 06:59 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: The competition for digital and physical subscribers is tough:
Y’all get this?:

https://subscribe.woodworkersjournal.com...g_code=WWJ

Plus you'll get a $10 off coupon to Rockler to boot
Laugh 

I think ALL woodworking magazines are in trouble whether or not their troubles are discussed in the open as much as Pop Wood. They've been dying for years.... Woodworking, Woodwork, ShopNotes, American Woodworker, Home Furniture, Workbench, Projects. etc..
I don't think digital print media works, period. It's been a long time since I read an article on my computer screen . At first it was getting something for nothing, it could also be what google brings up, it seems google only brings up ads now.

The other thing often mentioned is the age of hobby readers, hobbyists are dying off.

When I'm in Lee Valley, I'm pick up a FW, but I think it's only a habit from the '80s.
A man of foolish pursuits
(03-12-2019, 08:41 PM)mvflaim Wrote: Plus you'll get a $10 off coupon to Rockler to boot
Laugh 

I think ALL woodworking magazines are in trouble whether or not their troubles are discussed in the open as much as Pop Wood. They've been dying for years.... Woodworking, Woodwork, ShopNotes, American Woodworker, Home Furniture, Workbench, Projects. etc..

The whole line of magazines by AMC such as woodturning design, etc.

Simon
(03-12-2019, 08:55 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: I don't think digital print media works, period.

Tell this to those under the age of 35.

My neighbors' kids go to grade schools (not even high schools!) with a laptop or mac...!

Simon
(03-12-2019, 09:43 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Tell this to those under the age of 35.

My neighbors' kids go to grade schools (not even high schools!) with a laptop or mac...!

Simon

They aren't voluntarily consuming the content.
(03-12-2019, 09:55 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: They aren't voluntarily consuming the content.

True, but their digital reading habits will stick (or get worse depending on one's perspective) as they grow up, including entering the job market as adults. The commercial world is driving the digital movement from paperless applications to paperless banking to paperless tax filing. Sooner or later, you have to pay more for a print version of anything, while subsidizing the digital consumers. Last week when I did some self-checkout transaction, I was asked if I wanted a receipt...by email.

Simon
I can't say that this is a surprise, it's a big enough enterprise that momentum carried it quite a while. When the pirate equity people took over they hired management that was pretty good at flipping companies. The trouble was that the executives that were good at flipping had no clue what business they were in and no idea of how to manage a business for long term success. In the 10 years I was there they added layer upon layer of upper level staff who spent their days making up numbers to make the company look good to potential buyers, sucking up to those above them and bullying those below. The company was always for sale, but they needed to find a buyer who knew less than they did about publishing. Obviously that was not an easy task.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
(03-13-2019, 10:47 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: In the 10 years I was there they added layer upon layer of upper level staff...sucking up to those above them and bullying those below.

This happens because each added layer of managers and experts has to prove their worthiness. Each layer is supported by teams of new hires and job titles are changed to reflect "new roles." People are either excited or stressed... And one can also predict that a couple or few years later after their arrival, they will begin trimming "fats" downsizing operations or cutting frontline people as their liquidity begins to look bad. This is a textbook scenario, applicable to any sector or industry, not just publishing.

Been there , done that.
Simon
(03-13-2019, 10:47 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: I can't say that this is a surprise, it's a big enough enterprise that momentum carried it quite a while. When the pirate equity people took over they hired management that was pretty good at flipping companies. The trouble was that the executives that were good at flipping had no clue what business they were in and no idea of how to manage a business for long term success. In the 10 years I was there they added layer upon layer of upper level staff who spent their days making up numbers to make the company look good to potential buyers, sucking up to those above them and bullying those below. The company was always for sale, but they needed to find a buyer who knew less than they did about publishing. Obviously that was not an easy task.

In the case of publishing, the problem is compounded because the industry is already under pressure.

I'm dealing with something similar at a client now, except they're in an industry that should be thriving and even recession proof.

But basically two companies merged, the CEO was from the smaller of the two companies and I think he sold all the partners on finding a buyer with deep pockets.  He had his eyes so fixated on selling the combined company to someone even larger that he did a miserable job on running day-to-day operations, they defaulted on loans, and now the bank is running things (and looking for a buyer).

But during his tenure, he was adding all sorts of people generating all sorts of spreadsheets trying to make the company look interesting to suitors.