sliding door medicine cabinet
I've been renovating one of our bathrooms and struggling a bit with how to make the mirror in front of the medicine cabinet swing such that it doesn't interfere with the door to the room. This might be just the solution for that! And, even better, my wife loves the idea.

Please post pictures once you've done this, as I'd love to see how it turns out.

For the group, does anyone have thoughts on how to hide the drawer slides nicely? That's the one aspect that I'm not in love with. But it's also not the end of the world if they show when the door is open.

Thanks,
Tyler
(03-19-2019, 02:06 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I've been renovating one of our bathrooms and struggling a bit with how to make the mirror in front of the medicine cabinet swing such that it doesn't interfere with the door to the room.  This might be just the solution for that!  And, even better, my wife loves the idea.

Please post pictures once you've done this, as I'd love to see how it turns out.

For the group, does anyone have thoughts on how to hide the drawer slides nicely?  That's the one aspect that I'm not in love with.  But it's also not the end of the world if they show when the door is open.

Thanks,
Tyler

If you want a nice clean look it would be better to hang the door on something like a French cleat or a dovetail cleat on the top and an anti friction strip on the back of the door at the bottom.  In either case, you would only see wood.  There is a cleat on the back of this mirror frame that fits into a dado near the front edge on the top of this cabinet.  It slides very smoothly and is completely hidden.  

[Image: Rd8_CncQBXgTRaVWvx65osCO3YWscWoUIq4UWE93...70-h626-no]

John
(03-14-2019, 03:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That hasn't sunk in yet.......? (EDIT) I meant me, in that I haven't figured out what you mean by throwing 2 of the tracks out. What tracks?

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-14-2019, 03:50 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That hasn't sunk in yet.......? (EDIT) I meant me, in that I haven't figured out what you mean by throwing 2 of the tracks out. What tracks?
I don't think I can mount a pair of self closing hinges on the same side of the box.  They are mirror images of each other (left and right), and I don't know if you can use a right at the top and a left on the bottom (or vice versa).

It might require two "rights" or two "lefts" be mounted.  

That is what I meant.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-19-2019, 02:59 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If you want a nice clean look it would be better to hang the door on something like a French cleat or a dovetail cleat on the top and an anti friction strip on the back of the door at the bottom.  In either case, you would only see wood.  There is a cleat on the back of this mirror frame that fits into a dado near the front edge on the top of this cabinet.  It slides very smoothly and is completely hidden.  

[Image: Rd8_CncQBXgTRaVWvx65osCO3YWscWoUIq4UWE93...70-h626-no]

John
I am rethinking this.  This is a hall bathroom and is frequently used by guests.  If I make a sliding cabinet, how will they know to slide and not to pull?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-21-2019, 11:11 AM)Cooler Wrote: I am rethinking this.  This is a hall bathroom and is frequently used by guests.  If I make a sliding cabinet, how will they know to slide and not to pull?

Why would a guest have need to open it other than curiosity?  

But that is a good question.  To help people understand that it slides open you could put a narrow strip of wood on each side of the mirror with a finger pull groove in the front, not the side.  That's the only thing that comes to mind right off besides a sign.  

If you put a cleat at both the top and bottom it could only be opened by sliding it, just in case someone tries to pull it open.  

John