Mesquite?
Just getting started in woodturning, and have access to some mesquite stuff-- tree limbs, etc, for small pieces.  I've worked with mesquite before, but not for turning.  It seems brittle and might not be ideal in this part of woodworking.  Anyone have any experience or input?...  Thanks..
(03-12-2019, 08:55 PM)Texas Doug Wrote: Just getting started in woodturning, and have access to some mesquite stuff-- tree limbs, etc, for small pieces.  I've worked with mesquite before, but not for turning.  It seems brittle and might not be ideal in this part of woodworking.  Anyone have any experience or input?...  Thanks..

love mesquite -  turn lots with it - its far from brittle.  Larger pieces are hard to find without voids but that's part of the beauty and you just deal with it.

It's a great wood for woodturning and is one of my favorites
Mesquite is a very easy wood to work, though some can be very hard- hard enough to cause sparks when cutting with a chainsaw, yet some is soft and easy. Picking the right wood is important for it to match the project your doing.

I've turned a lot of it and have had no issues except to get it finely sanded to a mirror finish. It will split rather easily- surface drilling the end before mounting on the lathe helps.

The colors can be red- redish brown- yellowish brown, yellowish red, dark brown and an array of colors. A beautiful wood.
It's very stable if not wet, I've cut it right from the tree and used it with no warping or bowing, but I wouldn't rely on that for doing fine work.

I make all my handles for chisels and homemade draw knives. Made a couple of old planes. Made an Anaconda lamp and a rustic table from short scraps.

Made a lot of bowls- pictures are archived somewhere.?

I think you'll enjoy it. Use sharp tools.

[Image: oh5qVtK.jpg][Image: F4mI6AJ.jpg]

[Image: fi8nZpS.jpg]
[Image: X12tfSU.jpg]
[Image: 33Jk8Dh.jpg]
ONe of my favorite woods! I've turned a gazillion items from mesquite. Very susceptible to wood worms - thus the need for a face mask. Don't want a juicy worm splattering on your forehead...
I use a microwave to nuke the worms...

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
First Welcome and I am really looking forward to seeing what you make in the future with us.

Second Start hording wood you will never get enough of it.
Laugh
Laugh
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Turned it plenty.  Turns nicely.
(03-13-2019, 06:36 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: Turned it plenty.  Turns nicely.

Hi Frank nice to see you again.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Another endorsement for mesquite.  It's stable as wood gets, and it polishes up very nicely.  Machines nicely as well.  It'll chew up your tools, so sharpen often!

Mesquite from woodworking stores can be quite expensive.  I used to live in south Texas and mesquite was a nuisance tree they'd just clear out and burn when developing new housing tracts.  Had I known then what I know now, I'd have bought a chain saw and salvaged every piece I could get.  My parents still live in Austin, so maybe next visit I'm make a side trip or two and load up.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-14-2019, 12:32 PM)AHill Wrote: It'll chew up your tools, so sharpen often!

That was my experience, but it was beautiful when finished...
Smile
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Mesquite grows like a week in SW Oklahoma, but doesn't get very big. Great firewood. Local company uses mesquite and charcoal to make BBQ briquettes.
Brother lives south of San Antonio, has a ton of mesquite. Since the growing season there is year-long, the mesquite gets very big. I have hauled trailer loads back from time to time.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.