10" sanding disk recommendation
Hello all,

I bought a pack of 10" sanding disks a while back when I was at a WoodCraft.  I use them on the sanding disk setup that I made for my lathe.

I haven't use any grit except for the 60 grit (my most coarse).  I tend to use this for rough shaping and my latest project involves Lignum Vitae, steel, and brass which eats up sandpaper very quickly.

So I'm needing some new PSA 10" sanding disks in 60 grit.

I know that Norton and Klingspor make good sandpaper but I was a bit surprised by the price that Klingspor want's for a pack of 5.

What are your recommendations?
Peter

My "day job"
(03-12-2019, 09:57 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I bought a pack of 10" sanding disks a while back when I was at a WoodCraft.  I use them on the sanding disk setup that I made for my lathe.

I haven't use any grit except for the 60 grit (my most coarse).  I tend to use this for rough shaping and my latest project involves Lignum Vitae, steel, and brass which eats up sandpaper very quickly.

I know that Norton and Klingspor make good sandpaper but I was a bit surprised by the price that Klingspor want's for a pack of 5.

I'll just say that the Klingspor will actually stay put on the disc, and they wear a long time.  It's been quite a while since I bought from them... I picked up a two-pack for cheap at Harbor Freight in an emergency and have been pleasantly surprised.  
Yes
I have the same setup for my lathe,usually get my discs from Lee Valley.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(03-12-2019, 09:57 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Hello all,

I cannot say how these disks would do but I am interested in trying them myself : Industrial Abrasives Co  these do NOT have adhesive pre-applied so you'd have to do that yourself.  Furthermore, I'm a little puzzled by the picture as it shows a hole in the center. Don't think that makes much difference since the center of the disk isn't doing much sanding anyway.

I've had very good luck with other items purchased in the Rhyno Grit line (5" ROS disks, 9x11 sheets, 320 & 400 grit flexible pads) with the exception of some 80 grit paper that seems to drop its abrasive particles.  I suspect I just got a bad batch and frankly I've been too lazy to do anything about it.  Use so little I just shrug shoulders and move on.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-13-2019, 08:42 AM)Rob Young Wrote: I cannot say how these disks would do but I am interested in trying them myself : Industrial Abrasives Co  these do NOT have adhesive pre-applied so you'd have to do that yourself.  Furthermore, I'm a little puzzled by the picture as it shows a hole in the center. Don't think that makes much difference since the center of the disk isn't doing much sanding anyway.

I've had very good luck with other items purchased in the Rhyno Grit line (5" ROS disks, 9x11 sheets, 320 & 400 grit flexible pads) with the exception of some 80 grit paper that seems to drop its abrasive particles.  I suspect I just got a bad batch and frankly I've been too lazy to do anything about it.  Use so little I just shrug shoulders and move on.

Those are interesting, Rob.

I wonder...
Peter

My "day job"
(03-13-2019, 04:41 AM)KC Wrote: I'll just say that the Klingspor will actually stay put on the disc, and they wear a long time.  It's been quite a while since I bought from them... I picked up a two-pack for cheap at Harbor Freight in an emergency and have been pleasantly surprised.  
Yes

Really?

I might give that a try.  The last time I got sandpaper from HF the grit fell off the paper almost immediately upon contact with wood.  Maybe they improved their product.
Peter

My "day job"
I use my lathe to for disc sanding. To get course paper I go to where they rent out floor sanders and buy the sheets and cut them for my disc
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
(03-13-2019, 02:50 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Really?

I might give that a try.  The last time I got sandpaper from HF the grit fell off the paper almost immediately upon contact with wood.  Maybe they improved their product.

Like I said... I was pleasantly surprised.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea...ding+discs
(03-13-2019, 08:42 AM)Rob Young Wrote: I cannot say how these disks would do but I am interested in trying them myself : Industrial Abrasives Co  these do NOT have adhesive pre-applied so you'd have to do that yourself.  Furthermore, I'm a little puzzled by the picture as it shows a hole in the center. Don't think that makes much difference since the center of the disk isn't doing much sanding anyway.

I have used IAC for years, but I went with hook and loop so it was easy to change grits.  They have adapter to apply first and then the hook and loop disk. I use a 12 inch to flatten one side of segmented ring.
Bob
(03-13-2019, 02:50 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Really?

I had that issue with HF sheets of all grits. I believe the grit was red in color. Not only did grit come off, but it left a reddish tint to the wood.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com