Had this Banksia Pod lying around...
Finished up a banksia pod I had in the shop for about...25 years??  Forgot what a mess these things made.  I did this while the new garage heater was being installed.   It’s about 4” tall and used canary (my favorite), ebony and the pod. Not the best photo, used the iPhone instead of the good stuff.

Attached Files Image(s)

Those things sure are messy to turn but you sure did it justice,Beautiful job.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I really love the finial on top with the two gentle diamonds on the bottom and the stem on how it gently curves into the banksia pod.
Is that a whole pod or piece of one?  Sometime I will have to get one just to see what everyone is talking about.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-13-2019, 04:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I really love the finial on top with the two gentle diamonds on the bottom and the stem on how it gently curves into the banksia pod.
Is that a whole pod or piece of one?  Sometime I will have to get one just to see what everyone is talking about.

Arlin

The round piece in the center with the holes in it is the pod.Use sharp tools and a light touch.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(03-13-2019, 07:44 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Those things sure are messy to turn but you sure did it justice,Beautiful job.

Mel

Thx Chips!
(03-13-2019, 04:38 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I really love the finial on top with the two gentle diamonds on the bottom and the stem on how it gently curves into the banksia pod.

Thx Arlin!  The top finial was the third attempt, the other 2 broke...  That is half a pod. the other half I'm going to do something a little different.  Those pods have a hard outer shell, then a layer of fury stuff that gets everywhere, and finally the core, which is what you see.  When you first mount it on the lathe, hold a piece of cardboard over it before you turn the lathe on.  Stuff will fly out some of the openings 
Big Grin