How to get Bandsaw delivered
Hadn't planned on moving this quickly but a 10% discount for vets & military that expires today caused a flurry of action. Grizzly is investigating whether the local delivery firm will push the unit inside my garage.

I live in a 55+ community and everybody has bad backs.

If the trucking company will not push the unit into the garage for me, how does a single, old man get the saw up the driveway slope and into the garage? Shipping weight is 418 lbs.

So, if trucking firm will push into the garage, how does a single, old man get the unit onto the mobile base? This may not be as critical because I can probably round up some family to help on a weekend - and the unit would not be standing out in the weather while I wait for help.

I have a tentative order placed and want to have a plan of action if the trucking firm will only do a street drop - otherwise, I need to cancel the order and lose the $124 discount.

TIA
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(03-15-2019, 04:28 PM)cputnam Wrote: Hadn't planned on moving this quickly but a 10% discount for vets & military that expires today caused a flurry of action.  Grizzly is investigating whether the local delivery firm will push the unit inside my garage.

If the trucking company will not push the unit into the garage for me, how does a single, old man get the saw up the driveway slope and into the garage?  Shipping weight is 418 lbs.

So, if trucking firm will push into the garage, how does a single, old man get the unit onto the mobile base?  This may not be as critical because I can probably round up some family to help on a weekend - and the unit would not be standing out in the weather while I wait for help.

I have a tentative order placed and want to have a plan of action if the trucking firm will only do a street drop - otherwise, I need to cancel the order and lose the $124 discount.

TIA

I would not worry too much about it. Every LTL driver I have had, has been very helpful in getting the delivery into the garage. Have tip money ready in your pocket. And tip him or her well, it goes a long way for the next customer, which may well be you.

One guy could not get his truck into my complex. He walked in, knocked on my door, and I drove my wagon out to the street where we placed the tool in my wagon. He then walked in behind me as I slowly drove back to my garage, and helped me unload by hand.
Truly above and beyond the call....
There are surely guys that will do the moving, help uncrate and pick it up and set it on the mobile base for you. Check Craig's List under services. I hired a moving company (insured) that sent 2 college guys. They carried a 3hp Sawstop, a 2hp cyclone, a 2 hp Griz bandsaw, (all crated) a floor drill press, 16/32 sander, 1 1/2 hp belt/disc sander, mortiser and cabinet and some other stuff from the garage down steps to the basement. and placed everything where I wanted. They were done in just under an hour. Best $400 I ever spent. Amazing service.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
The delivery guys have always brought the load up my 120 ft driveway and to the opening of my garage or into it if it fit.  One guy said he wasn't supposed to but when I asked nice and said I would help he readily agreed.  Most graciously accept a tip, but one guy wouldn't no matter what.  OK, I tried. 

My wife and I put my 650 lb Grizzly BS onto it's mobile base.  Wasn't hard.  I tipped it so she could slide one half of the mobile base under it.  Then I tipped it the other way and she slid the second half into place.  You don't have to pick it up.  Just follow the directions for the base.  Get a younger friend or two to help, if needed.  

John
When I got my Griz 19" bandsaw, I got lift gate service to get it off the truck on to my driveway, then rented a "Dingo" which is like a bobcat but walk behind, and has forks.  I lifted it and rnade it back to my walk in basement, 5 minute job (everybody I know is old and have bad backs), then uncrated it on the cross piece (the manual said I could), lifted it up and eased it into the doorway (with 2" above and below clearance) and set it down onto a preassembled mobile base.  Best $120 I ever spent for the rental.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-15-2019, 04:28 PM)cputnam Wrote: Hadn't planned on moving this quickly but a 10% discount for vets & military that expires today caused a flurry of action.  Grizzly is investigating whether the local delivery firm will push the unit inside my garage.

If the trucking company will not push the unit into the garage for me, how does a single, old man get the saw up the driveway slope and into the garage?  Shipping weight is 418 lbs.

So, if trucking firm will push into the garage, how does a single, old man get the unit onto the mobile base?  This may not be as critical because I can probably round up some family to help on a weekend - and the unit would not be standing out in the weather while I wait for help.

TIA
I move equipment with a ratchet puller, a pallet jack, and a chain hoist.

The pallet jack and ratchet puller allow me to move stuff horizontally. If the ground is rough, I put down sheets of 3/4" plywood. I moved a 16" jointer out of one shop, down a gravel driveway, across the gravel road,  up a 300' gravel driveway, and into the new shop. I used my truck as an anchor. It took a few hours.

https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-...ller-3AY59

The chain hoist is crucial if you want to work on machines. You can hook it to a beam in the attic. I have one inside the big doors on the shop, and I use it to load and unload heavy stuff. There is just a loop of chain coming through the sheet rock for a pick point. Another pick point in the attic is over the rip saw, so I can lift the table off. For a job like a mobile base, hoisting the saw up a few inches makes all the difference. You will need slings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6933042,...312!8i6656

With these two tools, you can maintain and move the equipment you have.
My first thought would be to ask here.....if there is anyone near you that could lend a hand.

Ed
I've moved a lot of heavy equipment most of my life and for most of that time I had help. I don't have have any help now, since everyone, like you mentioned has a bad back or just don't want to.  
I do use the trucks hydraulic lift, but getting stuff into the shop is a chore. I use the engine lift, floor jacks, pry bars to push with and those 1,000 lb roller dolly things. I moved a 1,200# lathe and a 1,400# mill into my shop using these tools.

400 lbs is really not that much if you plan it well. A back hand truck would work (Hand truck with a back fold out roller and brace), or the pallet dolly would work fine.

You did mention you must go uphill (what grade?). If the crate is well made, I would consider laying the crate down on it's side on flat dollies then using a rope and pulley, pull it up the drive. I can't see what you have, so I'm not sure how to advise on that.

All in all- help is what you would need if you have any doubts! I don't take high risks, at 64, I can't afford to.

When I was young and you mentioned money, I'd figure a way to move your house across the street.
Laugh   I'd bet money would move that machine into your garage by a nice delivery man.
Hopefully, you placed the order. When it gets delivered, let us know, we want to drool over the pics,
Laugh

Seriously, I'm sure it will go well and you'll be glad that you bought it.
Yes
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
$20 and a couple cold drinks goes a long way.