Ash Box Project..
Well, issues with the Shed-in-a-Box last night (20mph winds) had me rolling around in the mud this morning, re-doing the anchors....might have it fixed, now..

Wandered down to the shop....and removed a few clamps..
Rolleyes 

Yep, took every one of these clamps to do the job....9 clamps
Winkgrin 

Box had a few high spots that needed "lowered".
Uhoh ...adjust a couple places for square, trimmed a few pins/tails flush...then got out a plywood panel.. 

Traced around the box, then tried to cut just outside the lines...add a bead of glue...
Rolleyes  

About the easiest way to clamp this thing up?
Winkgrin 

Vise is just the right size....was able to mark out the blank for the lid, sized to the box, plus a little extra..
Rolleyes 

Details? 

Hmmm, thinking it may be a tad clunky?   May cut the finger catch  down a bit..we'll see...
letting the glue dry a while...will check back later to see how it went...

Stay tuned
Cool
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Got things to the point, I could add the hinges.   Slimmed down the finger lip a bit....sanded everything down smooth...and got a coat of stain on..
Cool  

hinges this time are Bright Brass ones...
Cool  

Box  isn't very long, across the top..
Rolleyes 

Good thing the bottom won't be seen...
Winkgrin   

Just plywood.  

And a view of the top of the lid...
Cool 

need to go shopping for a few Bright Brass handles and something for the feet...
Confused

have enough left overs, I can start up a third such box....maybe.
Uhoh

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
"No scrap left behind!" You are the master of creating useful projects from scrap.
Yes
Always honing your skills (and your chisels too
Winkgrin)
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Picked up a couple brushes today...and some "brass"  stick-on letters.....going to add  "RECIPE(S) across either the lid or the front of both boxes..then varnish the boxes, and the lettering...  Either the letters will be in a straight line ( like this -------) or do a slanted line...depends on the way it looks...

had a kickback from the tablesaw today ( was IN Menard's yesterday, never even looked for a new push stick
Uhoh )  was trying to get enough stock to do this..

Along with a few for around the edges..

Wider board will get cut into a handle for this Tote....jointed the edges for a glue up..
Cool

Spread a bead of glue, moosh the parts into the glue, and a few clamps, some cauls, and a few more clamps..
Winkgrin 

Doubled up the cauls, to keep things flat...
Cool  

Letting this sit a day or so....will be working on letters.
Cool   lettered one box...varnished both...waiting on the varnish to dry..
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Ok, both boxes are done...want a looksee?
Rolleyes
Cool  

With the lids opened..

And a look at the lids...

Handles?  
Confused

Needed the smallest tip I have in the North Bros. push drill...to make pilot holes for the screws...
Cool

Other than the feet, and the corner joinery...both boxes are close to the same size...

Maybe tomorrow, I can work on that Tray/Tote project...and then see what is left of the Ash scraps...

Attached Files Image(s)

Maybe after Supper, I can get the clamps off the tray glue up?     trying to decide on which type of joint to use for the sides....dovetails...finger joints? 
Rolleyes

New blades for the bandsaw were picked up, today.    Lowes sells a bunch of tablesaws..but...does NOT sell any pushsticks.
Confused ....guess one has to buy the tablesaw, to get a pushstick?
No

Stay tuned  
Winkgrin
Ok, clamps came off, all 9 of them again....tried to square the ends up,,

Although one one edge WAS straight...the other had a slight curve....1/16' over 12"  made using the mitre gauge on the saw a problem...plane the curve away.

Once the panel was square...i could cut these to about the right length...except they were tapered a bit..
Uhoh  

And a couple needed face planed, too.   To get rid of the taper...

Do all four at once, then flip just two end for end, and go at it again...Handle blank needed face planed, then a profile was cut..
Cool  

Also cut roughly to length.  pattern to lay out finger joints?   have an old Butcher 1/8" Sash chisel..used that for the spacing..bandsaw was easier than handsaw..this time
Rolleyes 

Then use these to layout the matching fingers..
Cool

and again..

used those first fingers to layout the other ends of the long sides...and even the ends of the handle blank..
Cool  

I got almost ready to do the other end..

But decided it was getting a bit late in the day....maybe after the Honey-dos today, I  can get back to a tray build?
Confused

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Late night shop time...after all the Honey-dos were done, a nap taken..and a couple "Cold Ones"....

Dividers were way too thick...looked clunky..we have ways...
Winkgrin

Like a Stanley No. 3c with 3 patent dates...once the dividers were thinned down, I could use them to mark a couple notches on the handle blank..

Then make matching notches in the dividers...
Cool  

Half lap joints?   Then stood this mess up, and marked out the finger locations....corner ones were easy to saw out...it was the two in the middle..
Rolleyes

That are more like a pair of through mortises.   Sash chisel has an arrow logo...Butcher?

And then was able to try a dry fit...to see where any more work needed to be done....
Rolleyes  

Hmm, not too hateful this way...but
Rolleyes 

Tighter joints would be nice....before a glue up is done....maybe later, today? 
Confused

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Lots of cussing going on in the shop...
Upset  Somehow got the "frame" glued up, and in the clamps...

Vise is only tight enough to hold the first 3 clamps and the frame still, long enough for me to add the two longer ones..

Will add the dividers with the next glue up...after the fingergrips are done  on the  handle...
bottom panel is ready to go, as well..
Winkgrin

Speaking of handles...was getting tired of catching kick backs  with my hand..so..some other scraps were used up..
Rolleyes

Still a work in progress...need to do a few rip cuts, to see if i need to trim the bottom off of the old saw handle..   used a bit of that troublesome "primered" 5mm plywood for the new "blade"...
Cool

maybe adjust it so it rides the fence...we'll see. 
Confused

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Clamps came off today....finger joints cleaned up, curved areas smoothed to remove saw marks.  dividers installed....glue spread around, again..
Rolleyes 

Almost ran out of clamps..had to use the vise as a clamp..
Winkgrin  

Was getting a bit crowded, too...will let this sit overnight..

Got out a couple tools, to make the finger grip grooves..
Cool  

That, and trim the bottom to match the sides....may add some brass corner brackets?
Confused 

May be ready for stain, later?
Confused
Stay tuned  
Winkgrin