Wooden trailer??
Another thought that would obviously be affected by what’s legal, but what about an axle that you put the canoe on, and a hitch assembly that you attach to the end of the canoe, and the canoe itself is the joining structure? Lights attached to the axle, probably.

Here in KS I think it would be legal, as trailers under 2000 lbs don’t require licensing.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I'm of the opinion that certain things are best made of metal, and trailers for use on public roadways is one of them.

I'm talking about the underlying frame and running gear, not the decking material, or the structure on it.  My own 12' utility trailer uses PT 2X8s for the deck, but the deck rides on a fabricated steel frame with a tubular steel tongue.  Plenty of makers out there who have created small travel trailers, but from what I've seen, most either fabricate the steel frame themselves or use commercially available steel/aluminum frames.

Wood frame trailers may not run afoul of any given state's licensing requirements, but if something bad happens structurally while on the road, the owner/operator is still liable.  

Just my $.02...
Wink 
Sure you can.  There were plans for one in Wood Boat some years ago.  Don't remember a lot of details but for a light weight boat it would be no problem. 

I seem to remember a couple of beams. Splayed in a y and attached to a beam that made up the tongue maybe?  Light weight spring attached under the beams with axle.

We make wood bridges. Wood power boats and they take a heck of a beating.  Totally doable. 
Yes I suspect you knew this though before you asked.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks