fret saw
So I was considering buying a 3" Fret saw and, of course, looking at the Knew Concepts as a good price point.
Sooooo, I was wondering, now that they have been out for some time, if anyone had any particular thoughts on the standard vs bird cage 3" fret saw. Yes, I know there were a few reviews some time back, but hoping to avoid the usual " I got the saw free" therefore it is a wonderful saw, type of bias. Is the extra $100 or so  worth the bird cage and how have those nifty little welds held up?
Thank you.
Ron
BontzSawWorks.net
(03-16-2019, 11:41 AM)RonB1957 Wrote: So I was considering buying a 3" Fret saw and, of course, looking at the Knew Concepts as a good price point.
Sooooo, I was wondering, now that they have been out for some time, if anyone had any particular thoughts on the standard vs bird cage 3" fret saw. Yes, I know there were a few reviews some time back, but hoping to avoid the usual " I got the saw free" therefore it is a wonderful saw, type of bias. Is the extra $100 or so  worth the bird cage and how have those nifty little welds held up?
Thank you.
Ron

Ron,   I have the Mk4 (standard red, latest edition) 5" fret saw.  It is just dandy.   But I have not tried the birdcage ones.   I have a hunch you might like the "ornateness" of the birdcage...

Chris
Chris
(03-16-2019, 11:41 AM)RonB1957 Wrote: So I was considering buying a 3" Fret saw and, of course, looking at the Knew Concepts as a good price point.
Thank you.
Ron

Well Ron, I am one of those guys who "got the saw free", so you may choose to ignore all I say. 

I wrote a comparison of the standard vs birdcage fretsaws here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...etsaw.html

Note that I only have the titanium saws, and all in 5" - not the 3". My recommendation, years ago now, was that I could see a standard 3" version as most likely to be the preferred model for those dedicating it to sawing dovetail waste. I must emphasise that I have not used such a saw. This is based on my experiences with the 5" range. 

[Image: KnewConceptsBirdcageFretsaw_html_2fe016b0.png]

My bias is that I had a wonderful relationship with the late Lee Marshall, who made the KC saws, and worked with him to bring the saws to the woodworking market. My payment was partly the fun of doing this with such a wonderfully warm person with an amazingly inventive mind, and partly a bunch of "free" saws that he would send me for my opinion. (Just on a note of bias - everyone has a bias, whether one purchases a tool or is given it for free. There is no such thing as bias-free. It is important to recognise the nature of the bias. In my case, I always mention my relationship in this regard).

The main concern I had about the birdscage design could be summarised this way ...

"I raised concerns (from photos) with Lee even before I had a chance to try it out: the reason why the original fretsaw has been such a hit is partly because the frame is so stiff to create high blade tension, and partly because it is so light to create great control. The new saw design threatened to maintain the stiffness but at the expense of the lightness where it counted - at the back of the frame where it would affect the balance.". 

It would be helpful to read the rest of the article to obtain context here.

A standard 3" size is likely to avoid the issue here but, as mentioned earlier, I have not used one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
The KC fret saw (5") has been great for dovetailing, reliably cutting waste right up against the baseline.  I have ruined many a dovetail by faulty marking and errant back-sawing, but I can't recall ever miss-sawing with that fret saw.  It used to bug me a little to have spent over a hundred bucks for a tool with (for me) such limited use.  I don't think that anymore.  There is a saw on the market now that costs about 3X that much that wouldn't serve me any better.  There was much discussion about the handle that comes on the saw, but I wouldn't change that either, although you have the skills to make a much nicer one if you would care to.
(03-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: The KC fret saw (5") has been great for dovetailing, reliably cutting waste right up against the baseline.  I have ruined many a dovetail by faulty marking and errant back-sawing, but I can't recall ever miss-sawing with that fret saw.  It used to bug me a little to have spent over a hundred bucks for a tool with (for me) such limited use.  I don't think that anymore.  There is a saw on the market now that costs about 3X that much that wouldn't serve me any better.  There was much discussion about the handle that comes on the saw, but I wouldn't change that either, although you have the skills to make a much nicer one if you would care to.

Thanks to all. I have a KC coping saw. Just wanted something a little stiffer for dovetailing, when I, someday, actually get back to the shop.
BontzSawWorks.net
Ron, a stiffer saw is not required for dovetailing. It is all about technique.

As with a dovetail saw, the fretsaw must be held as lightly as possible. Never force the cut. Let the saw do the work. A way of determining how you are doing is to watch the blade – it should hardly deflect. You should be rewarded with a fairly straight saw cut.

[Image: ThroughDovetails3_html_m46d81eff.jpg]

About 1mm left ...

[Image: ThroughDovetails3_html_236c5ff2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-17-2019, 06:48 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Ron, a stiffer saw is not required for dovetailing. It is all about technique.

As with a dovetail saw, the fretsaw must be held as lightly as possible. Never force the cut. Let the saw do the work. A way of determining how you are doing is to watch the blade – it should hardly deflect. You should be rewarded with a fairly straight saw cut.

[Image: ThroughDovetails3_html_m46d81eff.jpg]

About 1mm left ...

[Image: ThroughDovetails3_html_236c5ff2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes. It is just a preference. Thank you.
BontzSawWorks.net