The Woodworking Show
Atlanta was pathetic. Three vendors of flea market junk. A leaf gutter guard and about 1/4 of the Peachtree demo folks under different banner. The rest was a few guilds, a SawStop, and a Hammer slider. And woodpeckers. A couple small laser and CNC folks. If it wasn’t for LV I would’ve been in/out in 25 min. Spent an extra hour at LV trying everything possible just to get my parking monies worth.
I attended the Chantilly show today and it was a complete disappointment. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to another one. Peachtree wasn’t even there. They’ve been a staple at the shows for the past 15+ years. Save your money and buy at Woodcraft or online. Rest In Peace The Woodworking Shows ?
(03-23-2019, 06:22 PM)NVA_WW Wrote: I attended the Chantilly show today and it was a complete disappointment. I don’t think I’ll ever go back to another one. Peachtree wasn’t even there. They’ve been a staple at the shows for the past 15+ years. Save your money and buy at Woodcraft or online. Rest In Peace The Woodworking Shows ?

Sad. I've gone to those shows since the mid 80's. Bartall? Hall in Kansas City was the first one I went to.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-23-2019, 06:22 PM)NVA_WW Wrote: Save your money and buy at Woodcraft or online. Rest In Peace The Woodworking Shows ?

Online business has killed a lot of things including magazines, DVD tutorials, and sooner or later cross country shows. The future generation of woodworkers will rely on online reviews (text/photos/videos) for their purchase decisions, not woodworking shows to get a taste. They will either buy online or at a store, rather than waiting for shows to arrive. I'd be surprised if cross country shows could last another 10 years. In fact, the show vendor no longer does shows in the west coast anymore.

What may survive are vendor-specific roadshows like Festool, and L-N, or occasional focus shows (on hand tools for example).

Simon
New England show was slightly smaller in size than previous years. No Peachtree and more Asian rummage sale item.
Most of the seminars were moved from prior year location to make more room for the rummage sale. New location had fewer folding chairs for the seminars. The seminars were now 10-20' from Rigid's table saw/blade demo and another vendor with a router.

Looking forward to this weekend's "Showcase" show in Saratoga. The seminars are in hotel conference rooms.
My .02
Karl

I went to The Woodworking Show in Charlotte today; pathetic. I was hoping it would be better than the last time it was there: 7 years ago. It wasn't.
Sad 
Only about 30 vendors counting the ones selling used tools and buyouts from hardwares, etc.
Last show I will go to, even if they return next year.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(03-29-2019, 07:13 PM)scpapa Wrote: I went to The Woodworking Show in Charlotte today; pathetic. I was hoping it would be better than the last time it was there: 7 years ago. It wasn't.
Sad 
Only about 30 vendors counting the ones selling used tools and buyouts from hardwares, etc.
Last show I will go to, even if they return next year.

Rick

I flipped a coin on thew Charlotte show this weekend - ended up not planning on going.  It sounds like it was the correct decision.  Its been a lot of years since i've been to a wood working show nd thought maybe they had improved.  When I lived in upstate NY I wnet to the NEWW show in Saratoga Springs  every year - I do miss that event
Rick

Ah, the good old days.  When woodworking shows really meant something.  Vendors, demonstrations, classes, and the sound of a router or tablesaw running in the distance.  It was fun watching the guy from Incra jigs making short work of dovetail joinery.....perfect every time.....you too can achieve this perfection.......

I attended the last one they had in Minneapolis a few years back and I could have just as well gone to Goodwill or Harbor Freight to buy "quality" tools they had here.  Woodpeckers was the only vendor that had anything worth buying, but who wants to spend over a $130 on a set of rulers.
Gary

Living under the radar, heading for "off the grid."

(03-30-2019, 06:07 AM)Rick_B Wrote:  I flipped a coin on thew Charlotte show this weekend - ended up not planning on going.  It sounds like it was the correct decision.  Its been a lot of years since i've been to a wood working show nd thought maybe they had improved.  When I lived in upstate NY I wnet to the NEWW show in Saratoga Springs  every year - I do miss that event

I have very good memories of visiting the Independence Arena with my uncle. We'd spend all day there and then go get dinner. My first intro to LV and LN. 

I do wish the good shows would happen again. I know why they don't but I wish they would. I'd really love to take my son to a decent one.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11