Drywall
Hello everyone, I want to drywall my garage this spring and was wondering if I should do the celling first or the walls or does it really matter. Thanks for the help and have a great day.
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
Make sure you have all wiring, lighting and insulation in place first. The hang the ceiling first. The walls will help to support the edges of the ceiling.
(03-17-2019, 12:04 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: Make sure you have all wiring, lighting and insulation in place first. The hang the ceiling first. The walls will help to support the edges of the ceiling.

Thanks
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
Yup. Insulation. Wiring, etc. first.

Are you doing the work yourself?  It is not for the faint of heart.
Heavy panels, etc. Then taping, mudding, smoothing, etc.

My folks did all their own drywall years ago. So I got lots of
time helping/lifting/taping, etc.

Living with the mess, for days or weeks on end, is no picnic.

Drywall for me, now days, is a check book job.  The drywall crew
I had do the wood shop were done in a couple days. And the
finish was awesome.

Just something to think about.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(03-17-2019, 11:59 AM)mickanick1 Wrote: Hello everyone, I want to drywall my garage this spring and was wondering if I should do the celling first or the walls or does it really matter. Thanks for the help and have a great day.

If you are doing this by yourself rent a drywall lift for the ceiling sheets which are normally 5/8".   If the garage is attached to the house 5/8" type X (fire code ) may be required.  When taping putting on more coats of mud is a lot easier than a lot of sanding.  Don't put mud on too thick at one time as it will crack and cause more problems.  With premixed compound wait until dry (over night ) before sanding, if needed, and re coating.    If using hot mud start off with the 90 minute type until you get used to it.   Keep the mud clean from hardened pieces of dried mud.   Get various sized trowels including a corner tool and a tray.     A garage is a great place to learn.   Put something on floor as a lot of mud winds up there.   Roly
Always ceiling first. The wall drywall hold up the ceiling edges. Then hang the drywall on the walls, snug to the ceiling from the top down. Makes a stronger wall and finishing the top corner seams much easier with a lot less mud.

Generally I don't put any ceiling sheetrock sscrews closer than 16" from a wall. That allows the edges to sit down on the wall sheetrock, making a nicer/snug seam and eliminated nail/screw pops which are usually near the wall.

And... never put on more mud than you want to sand off. Sanding should be a quick job, not a tedious project.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I agree that the wall drywall helps hold up the ceiling sheets, but somewhere I read to install the walls first half inch lower that the ceiling framing.  When putting up the ceiling, slide the sheets in the gap and it helps to hold them up while nailing/screwing.  Especially helpful if not using a lift.  

I did this when doing a workshop while back and it worked out well.
(03-17-2019, 03:00 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: ... Drywall for me, now days, is a check book job.  The drywall crew
I had do the wood shop were done in a couple days. And the
finish was awesome.

Just something to think about.
A BIG +1.  
Smile
Lots of good suggestions above, but to the OP if you've never done drywall finishing before consider hiring that part out. Every time I see a "first-time-I've-done-this" drywall job it looked terrible and took way more effort that it should have.
I've done plenty of drywall... the best $500 I've ever spent was to have someone hang and finish my basement ceiling.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15