Sanding pads vs. paper?
Tell me why you might prefer one over the other? This would be between finish coats.
For sanding between coats, I like the thin foam pads over paper. They allow me to use a light wiping motion to sand without cutting through. Once they wear down, I will sometimes use them to back regular sandpaper
(03-17-2019, 09:29 PM)Scoony Wrote: For sanding between coats, I like the thin foam pads over paper. They allow me to use a light wiping motion to sand without cutting through. Once they wear down, I will sometimes use them to back regular sandpaper

Same here, and I don't feel the heat and it gets the contours better.
Depends, for me.  When I want to keep something dead flat I use sandpaper on a hard rubber block, usually 400 or 600 grit.  I do that between or after several clearcoats, before applying the final coat or two of finish.  For most anything with dye or stain underneath, however, I typically use foam pads to avoid cutting through, as others have said.  My favorite was a yellow one Norton used to make called 3X or 5X in 325 grit.  They were terrific; they felt more like 600 grit or even finer and lasted forever.  Of course Norton stopped making them and I have still to find another pad with the same characteristics.  

John
I like the Rhynosoft foam backed sanding pads for between coats.
(03-18-2019, 11:11 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: I like the Rhynosoft foam backed sanding pads for between coats.

Same.  Here's a link.

Except when I don't. If I need to do a little bit of leveling, I revert to a sanding block. Larger surfaces I like the "Preppin' Weapon" brand. Also have a few of the hook-and-loop backed sanding mice that take 5" ROS sheets but they have a lot of give in the surface.

Have a few random size small blocks made with hardwood and some cork from a bulletin board that was recycled. And another nifty trick for working into corners is to use plastic putty knives with the paper wrapped tight around the end. Good for getting boo-boos out of tight places.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin